ten

There was nothing I was currently more afraid of than talking to my boyfriend during church. I'd driven myself since my dad had to work - and my mom hated going without him - which meant I had almost nothing to blame a quick exit on. I was just finishing up the lesson for today, and Danny had been sitting quietly at the table next to the couch, half-heartedly scrolling through his phone. He had hardly spoken, but I could feel his anxiety from across the room. He was waiting for the class to end, so he could ask me a million questions about why I was where I was, and why I saw who I saw.

"Okay, kiddos, pack up your Bibles and put your things in your cubbies." I reluctantly announced to the ten kids currently sprawled out across the room, playing with toys and coloring. I tried my best to keep my face free of any worry, and focused all of my attention on the kids packing up their stuff. "I think I hear someone's shoes in the hallway. Who do we think it is?" I said to the kids to hurry them up. The younger ones loved getting picked up from their parents after service, like they hadn't seen them in days. I missed that kind of love, now I was just excited if my mom made her mac and cheese she made about once a year.

Aly was the first one to the door, her blonde curls bouncing in her ponytail as she bobbed up and down to try and see through the door window. I hoped she would stay innocent like that, and never end up like her brother. I couldn't see someone as wholesome as Aly Schwinn ever hurting someone else on purpose though, fortunately.

"Mommy!" One of the boys who'd stood beside Aly squealed. I opened the door to the nursery, and greeted her, Brenda if I'd remembered correctly. If I was being honest, most of the women here looked too similar to tell apart. Blonde, Juvederm-graced skin, and freckles dotting their décolletage from years of forgotten sunscreen.

One by one, the kids were picked up by their moms or dads, and I begrudgingly counted down until one last child was left. I could feel Danny's eyes boring holes into my back, hoping I could pull this off.

"Hi, Abby." I heard the last dad say from the hall. I silently cursed him, but turned and gave him a bright smile.

"Hi, Mr. Brown. Lance was great today." I said, turning to the brunette boy next to me and lightly ruffled his hair. He unfortunately didn't seem like much of a talker today, and bolted straight for his dad. I waved them off, and left the door open, in the hopes that it would bring in some good energy. Lord knows I'd need it. No pun intended.

I took a deep breath before turning back towards the classroom, and Danny was sitting on the couch, waiting. He looked like he was fighting the itch to yell or cry, or both. Because I knew Danny, I knew he was stewing inside, trying to piece together his words. Because I was the one betraying him, I knew not to press him, so I didn't blow the whole thing.

"Do you want to help me pack up the toys?" I asked him sweetly. Although the kids were great at packing up their books, the toys were always another story. There were dinosaurs, toy trucks and mini kitchen pieces everywhere.

"Sure," Danny stood up from the couch. He reached for the dinosaurs. "So, how was the show last night? Did you have fun?" He asked me. I knew it was killing him to not ask me about Tessa. He was gauging how much I knew. I watched him put the dinosaur figurines in their respected drawer, and pick up a toy truck.

"I had a ton of fun. Stacy and I had a sleepover after." I answered honestly. "The bands were great." I added, wanting him to think I stayed for the main act, when I was actually too blasted to do so.

"Did you know either of them, or was it one of Stacy's random shows?" He fidgeted with the truck in his hand, spinning the wheels. Do you know about Tessa? I could see it on his face. Was it bad that I almost wanted those words to come out of his mouth?