five

I'd been standing in front of Rhys's car with Stacy for what felt like two hours. In retrospect, it was more than likely only five minutes. In study hall, Stacy had told me I needed to confront Rhys and ask him for details, and advice. I wanted to know more about Tessa, about why Danny had even approached someone else.

Practice had ended for cheer in the gym just half an hour ago, and the guys had finished up on the field around the same time. I had texted Danny that I was hanging around after practice with Stacy to do some project for one of our coaches, and I waited for him to leave the parking lot before staking out for Rhys.

I had brought Stacy along with me, because I needed some sort of emotional support. There was no way I was going to confront this head on without my best friend. She wanted to interrogate Danny as soon as I told her, but I explained to her that I just needed time. Of course, it didn't stop her from wanting to murder Danny, but she knew I would be upset.

"There he is!" Stacy whisper-yelled to get my attention. I looked up from my phone; since un-blocking Tessa, I'd stalked her page every few minutes. Rhys was walking towards his car that we were currently standing in front of, his eyes glued to his calculus book. He didn't look like the kind of person who'd betrayed his best friend's trust just over twenty four hours prior.

"Rhys." I called when he was within earshot, and he met my gaze. I could tell he was curious about Stacy's presence, and watched as he folded the page of his book without looking, to save his spot. "We need to talk."

"How many people have you told?" Rhys asked me without hesitation. He seemed bothered, and looked around the parking lot.

"No one. Well, I mean, just Stacy." I admitted. "I had to, Rhys. She's my best friend."

"If it weren't for her begging me to keep quiet, I'd have dug your friend's grave already." Stacy said with an eye roll. She and Rhys had a slightly rocky past, they'd briefly been an item during freshman year, before he decided to stay single for a while. They'd established a weird friendship since then, but there were times when they were tense. Obviously, this was one of them.

"What do you guys want?" He asked me, brushing Stacy off. She crossed her arms over her chest and waited for me to talk. He knew why I wanted to talk.

"I found Tessa's Facebook. He had blocked her." I said, and Rhys sighed, shaking his head.

"I figured you would. She wants to talk to you, Abby." He said. I inhaled deeply and nodded my head softly.

"I know." I thought about my options for a moment. "How do I contact her?"

Rhys narrowed his eyes at me and shook his head in disbelief. "You've already got her number."

It dawned on me that she was the unknown number, and I let out a small laugh. "Of course." Stacy pulled my phone out of my pocket, prompting me to call her.

"Okay, I'll call her." I said, and pulled up my texts. The texts from her were buried deep beneath group chats, and my finger hovered over her contact for a moment longer than necessary. Did I really want to do this? It would be so final.

"Do it." Stacy said eagerly.

I sucked in a breath and hit "audio". My heart raced as I heard a dial tone. What would I say? Where would I even start? I didn't get much time to think before I heard her pick up.

"Hello?" She answered, her voice slightly winded and husky, she was definitely busy. I was frozen, unable to speak at the sound of her voice. I didn't know why, but I was terrified to talk to her.

"Abby? Are you there?" She asked again, and I heard her take a drink from a bottle. Without thinking, I hastily hung up. I ran my hands over my hair, and clasped them behind my head.