eleven

I was spinning again, but not in a good way. My head had been spinning since Sunday afternoon, since Tessa kissed me.

I hadn't answered a single one of her texts or calls, and I'd avoided Danny like the plague. He most likely still thought I was mad at him for being annoying on Sunday, which was fine. I couldn't talk to him, he was the reason any of this had happened.

"Come on, guys, let's pick it up!" It was now Wednesday, and I was leading practice on my own since Stacy was at the orthodontist, attempting to get my team spirit on.

"Okay, Abby, we need a water break." One of our flyers, Ella, piped up from the middle of the floor. I looked at the clock and cursed under my breath as I realized what time it was.

"I actually think we'll call it for the afternoon, guys. With Coach out, there's not much more we can do today." Admittedly, there was so much work to be done before the playoffs game on Friday, but I selfishly wanted to go home and figure out a solution for my problems.

Why had she even kissed me? First, I'd only known her for two whole weeks, and secondly, where did she get the idea I'd wanted her to kiss me? She had to know I was straight, I was dating Danny, which was what had gotten us into this mess in the first place. The most I'd ever thought about another girl was when I envied what they looked like. But, what normal girl didn't?

I watched the team put their stuff away with confused facial expressions. I'd been so out of it for the last few days, I'm sure they all thought I was going insane. Which, I was starting to think myself. Tessa was texting me as if nothing happened, maybe by some grace of God I'd made it all up in my head.

I sucked in a deep breath and pulled my scrunchie out of my sweat-dampened hair. I needed to talk to someone, but I didn't know where to begin. I was worried if I talked to Stacy about it, she'd never speak to me again, and Tessa was the last person I wanted to talk to. That left my parents, who I obviously couldn't tell, or Rhys. And I was still uncertain if I could trust him completely or not.

Sure, Rhys was the person to bring Tessa and I together, but he had still been Danny's best friend for the last fourteen years. I didn't know if I wanted to open that can of worms, but right now, he was my only option.

"Abby, are you okay?" I shook myself out of my head. Grace, one of the only freshmen who'd landed a spot on the varsity squad, was standing just a foot away from me. Her face was sympathetic, and she tilted her head to the side as she studied my reaction.

"Yeah, thanks Grace." I smiled softly. "See you at practice tomorrow." She nodded and turned on her heel, making a dash for the locker rooms. I let out the breath I'd been holding, and followed suit.

I pulled the locker room door closed behind me, making sure it clicked. The guys had a habit of peeping in if we didn't. However, I was pretty sure I was one of the only girls who actually closed the door.

Since Sunday, I'd had a hard time changing in front of any of the girls. I was embarrassed; if I looked at anyone too long, would they also think I wanted them to kiss me? I didn't know what kind of signals I was letting off, but I knew I didn't want to give anyone else any ideas. I'd had enough unsolicited kissing to last a lifetime.

I kept my gaze down, I knew my cheeks and ears were flushed bright red. It was awkward, being in a room with fifteen girls in different stages of undressing, all comfortably making conversation and giggling. I needed to get out of my own head, I needed to get Tessa out of my head. I roughly pulled my sweater over my head to cover up, and grabbed my jeans out of my locker. I quickly slid them on, and pulled my stuff out as well. I could feel eyes on me as I left the locker room without a word.