23|Peace

The funeral pyre blazed alive in the dying light of the Nubian day. Fiery tongues snaked their way across Qui-Gon's body, beginning to consume his flesh in fluid motions. 

Around the funeral pyre stood those that were honoring the Jedi Master in life and death. King Skywalker stood there surrounded by his man servants, Captain Panaka, Chancellor Palpatine, and one hundred Naboo soldiers chosen to honor their people in respect of the man who helped defend their King. Twenty Gungans officials, Boss Nass and Jar Jar Binks made up the Gungan honorees, followed by members of the Jedi Council, including their most renowned members, Jedi Masters Mace Windu and Yoda, and on hundred Jedi Knights and Masters, who knew Qui-Gon best and longest, rounded out the circle. 

Padme' stared unblinking into the flames rapidly consuming one she had come to love so quickly. Her face was intense and pained, she was fighting for control to hold back the tears that wanted to flow freely. 

The fire slowly reduced the form of the Jedi Master to spirit and ash and as the last flames died away with flesh and bone, snowy doves were released into the paling sunset, winging distantly away, carrying memories of Qui-Gon with them.

Obi-wan felt one door close in his life as another one opening. Now the Knight and no longer the Padawan, Obi-Was felt a sense of accomplishment. He had trained all his life for this accomplishment, most of those years under Qui-Gon Jinn.

He looked over at young Padme', his new apprentice, and felt her pain and grief wash over him through the Force, though outwardly, she looked calm and controlled, save for the storm brewing behind her brilliant brown eyes.

Obi-Wan placed a comforting hand on her slim shoulder, drawing her unwavering attention toward him. He looked down at her face, the remnants of her bruises and cuts healing after days of bearing their pain. He saw her mask her tears from him and smiled at her reassuringly.

"Qui-Gon is one with the Force, young Padme'. We must let him go," Obi-Wan said in a soft voice full of fatherly care.

"I miss him, Obi-Wan. It is hard for me to let go of someone who saved me from a life of slavery. It is hard for me to let go of his bravery and courage and his belief in others," Padme' spoke, forcing every word out over the lump that refused to leave her throat.

"I miss him as well, Padme'. But I will continue to remember him. We will continue to remember him," Obi-Wan said.

"What will become of me now? Qui-Gon was going to fight to train me. I don't know what will happen now. Do you?" Padme' asked.

"The Council have granted my request to train you. I will train you, just as Qui-Gon would have done. We will train together and learn from each other and I will help you to become a Jedi Knight, I promise you this. You will be a Jedi Knight," Obi-Wan promised the young girl.

"Thank you," Padme' said, straightening visibly as a flicker of a smile chased across both her's and Obi-Wan's lips. Deep down, Obi-Wan knew that somewhere, Qui-Gon Jinn would be smiling beside them.

**************************************************

Across from the two, Mace Windu and Yoda saw both Obi-Wan and Padme' accept their new responsibilities.

"As one life ends, so another begins in the Jedi Order," Mace whispered to Yoda.

"Troubled, young Naberrie is. Wrapped in shadows and hard choices. Clouded is her destiny," Yoda replied.

"Qui-Gon was right about Obi-Wan though. He is ready," Mace commented. "He will train the girl well."

"Ready, he was, to become a Jedi Knight. Ready, he may not be, to train a Padawan. He himself, was only a learner, not too long ago. And tough, will be Naberrie to train," Yoda mused.