06|The Bet

The new day dawned on Tatooine. The sandstorm had dissipated and moved on to the other regions. Padme' had stirred and was up and dressed long before the others. She was eager to get to Watto's and tell him of her idea to race in the Boonta Eve Classic. Qui-Gon had advised her that she should leave the talking to him. After all, it was going to be Qui-Gon's cunning and diplomacy that was going to achieve their ends.

Oui-Gon, Padme', Anakin, Jar Jar, and Artoo headed off from the slave quarters of Mos Espa towards the plaza leading to the trading district of the City. Alive and moving, most of the city's dwellers were bustling round on their own business before the heat of the day became a bother. Everywhere, street vendors, stalls and shops were opening up, getting ready for the day's business and trade.

Qui-Gon told Padme' to go on ahead to the shop, giving her the chance to talk to Watto about the pod races. Whilst Padme' went on ahead, Qui-Gon led the rest of the group over to a stall where he used a little Force influence to persuade the vendor to part with a few Dweezies. After the Dweezies were consumed, Qui-Gon led the group over towards the shop. He was about to enter when he was stopped by Anakin.

"Are you sure about this, Qui-Gon? Trusting our fate to a girl we hardly know. How can we be sure that this course of action will even be beneficial to us? The King would not approve of this," Anakin said firmly.  Though his concern was centered on Padme'. If these races were dangerous he didn't want Padme' to get hurt.

"The King doesn't need to know about this. And there is something about this girl. I believe she can help us," Qui-Gon said as he turned to walk into the shop.

Anakin watched on as Qui-Gon neared the entrance, not at all happy with the Jedi's idea about their situation.

"Well, I don't approve. It is not the place of a young girl to sort out our mess. And what if something happens to her?" Anakin argued.

"Everything happens for a reason Anakin. We need to trust in the Force." Giving Anakin a questioning look Qui-Gon turned into the shop and Anakin sat down on a flat base jutting out from the shop.

Inside the shop, Qui-Gon found the Toydarian, Watto, and Padme' in a heated discussion. The alien's was arm gesturing wildly about, his wings beating faster than a heartbeat. They were arguing in Huttese, a language that Qui-Gon did understand somewhat. Qui-Gon moved forward towards Watto and drew his attention toward him. Watto didn't miss a beat and headed straight over to Qui-Gon, barley concealed excitement directing his rigid moves.

"So, the girl tells me you want to enter her into the Boonta Eve. How is this possible? You do not think you can do this with Republic credit, huh?" Watto bit out excitedly and harshly.

Qui-Gon reached into this poncho and pulled out a little holoprojector. 'My ship will be the entry fee." He switched on the holoprojector revealing the Nubian and holding it up for Watto to see. Padme's eyes widened as she saw the ship.

"Not bad. Nubian, I see," Watto noted while he eyed the holoprojection.

"It's in perfect order, save for the parts we require." After another moment Qui-Gon switched off the holoprojector and placed it back beneath his poncho.

"What would the girl ride? She smashed up my pod in the last race. There will be no time to fix it for the Boonta, I think," the flapping alien went on, scratching the black stubble on his wobbly chin.

"I have acquired a pod in a game of chance. I heard that it's the fastest ever built. I believe it will be efficient for the race." Qui-Gon noticed Padme' swell with pride and happiness out of the corner of his eye. He smiled discretely at her.

"I dearly hope you didn't kill anyone I know for it," Watto said before bursting into a round of laughter. "So outlander, you supply the ship as fee and the pod, I supply the girl and we split the winning, ummm, fifty-fifty I think. That sound good to you huh? Fair is fair, I say," the alien finished quickly.