2| Feelings

Two years later.

Kai didn't feel like doing anything today. He felt like covering his head with his pillow and going back to sleep. But today was December 21st and a Saturday, which meant that the Blackburns were coming over. Every Saturday of every week of every month, they come over to smooth out the relationship between Blackburn Industries and Commonwealth Products, which were run by Levana Blackburn and his very own father.

Groaning, he lifted himself off the nice and comfy bed; at the same time, his phone vibrated. He grabbed it and flinched when he saw who the message was from.

Selene Blackburn (20 sec ago)
You coming today? Or r u gonna skip? Tell me bc I don't feel like going today?

He stared at the phone stupidly and probably smiled a bit too. He had a crush ever since they met two years ago when she claimed to have survived the fire. Once she turned 18, she would take full control of the company as a legal adult.

Kai (sent 4 sec ago)
Yep, I have to, or my dad will kill me.

Selene (just now)
Aww, shucks, now I have to go.

Kai (just now)
Sorry :)

Selene (just now)
:(
Gtg, I have to get ready and wear a dress :(((

Kai (delivered just now)
Happy birthday 🎉

Well, Selene didn't see the last message, and she tends to forget that she has a phone from time to time. She's going to think that Kai doesn't remember her birthday. Of course, he remembers. She is turning 16 today, and Kai had a special cake made for her. It was made of chocolate covered with more chocolate and topped with chocolate. Selene loved chocolate.

A knock came from the bedroom door, "Mr. Pierce, the governor, would like to talk to you." Nainsi's sweet voice rang through the door, and Kai groaned some more. Ever since his father got sick, he had been asking to meet up with Kai even more. It was mostly depressing things, like 'Ever since you were a young boy...' and 'I hope that I get to see you become...' it got on Kai's nerves.

"Yep, I'm coming, "

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

"Mr. Pierce, the Blackburns have arrived." Nainsi pushed the glasses up her freckled nose. She had black hair with a few gray strands with a heart-shaped face, and dark brown eyes. She looked a lot younger than people would normally guess.

"Wheres Torin?" Kai looked around for his father's advisor.

"He couldn't make it, so I took his place." Nainsi was his father's secretary for as long as Kai could remember. She was close to his mother, and he considered her as his aunt. She was there for him when his mother died in the accident so many years ago.

"Okay. And my father?"

"Too sick again."

"So just me." She nodded.

"Great." Kai stepped outside of the large building he called home and greeted the Blackburns. The first one to step out of the car was Levana. The Blackburns we're famous for their power, which is that they could mind-controlling anyone to anything. It was kind of frightening. Levana opened her arms like she expected Kai to hug her. He stayed put.

"My dear Kaito, how lovely it is to see you again. How is your father?"

"Better, thank you." He looked behind her and tried to peek inside the car, but then Sybil and Aimery popped out.

"Ms. Mira, Mr. Park, a pleasure to see you again."

"The pleasure is ours, Mr. Pierce." Then the girl he'd been waiting for claimed out of the car, wearing long black boots, as usual, and a long silky dress that almost reached her feet. And gloves, always gloves. She smirked at him, and Kai could feel himself grow red at the sight of her.

"Kaito"

"Selene." The two stared at each other until Nainsi cleared her throat and stepped in.

"Why don't we all go inside. We have a special dish prepared for today-"

"I wonder why," Levana said, cutting Nainsi off. Then she trotted past Kai gracefully, and her minions followed her. Kai met up with Selene and smiled at her.

"Hey," Kai said, and Selene looked at him.

"What's up, dork," she grinned and playfully punched him.

"Oh, not much, except my father keeps on acting like he's going to die and tells me depressing things daily."

"You said that last week!"

"Well, now you can see how my life will never change."

"M'kay."

Kai leaned in towards her ear, " Happy Birthday."

"Oh, my stars. I forgot, " she snorted and dug her head in Kai's shoulder, "I forgot my birthday!"

They both began to laugh uncontrollably until Nainsi gave them the death stare, and they tried to stop.

"Did you see that theory of Cinders and Captain Thorn might be dating?"

"Yeah, that's a load of bullshit. All the photos were photoshopped."

"How do you know?"

"They look fake in all of the pictures. And Cinders turned down the rumors herself." Selene looked convinced that when she said this and matched on through the halls. Kai caught up with her.

"Okay, but in real life, the Captain is always flirting with her. That could stand for something."

Seven rolled her eyes, "Since when does Kai Pierce believe in rumors. There are about a million of them circling you!"

"And a million more regarding anything to do with the heroes of Artemisia." Kai looked down at his best friend that he was secretly in love with. A piece of her hair fell out of her updo and into her face. Kai swiped it away, and Selene looked at him with wide brown eyes. Eyes that he fantasized looking at while he leaned in and pressed his lips on hers-

"Hey, are you okay?" Kai snapped out of his faze and blinked.

"Ye-yeah yeah, yes, I'm fine." She blushed and looked away.

"So, you want to steal some food from the kitchens?" Selene looked back at him, but almost as if she was hesitant.

"Absolutely."