5| Letting Go

Ze'ev never liked working as a waiter. He hated taking orders that he would clumsily write down; he hated annoying customers that were rude to him and others; he hated that one drunk dude (Roland?) who flirted with everyone; he hated the job. But there was only one good thing about this.

Scarlet.

She was the barista at the local tavern. She managed to capture many men's eyes (including the dumbass Roland), and she was his girlfriend. Z had never loved anyone like this before. He was 100% sure that he was ultimately and utterly in love with Scarlet Benoit. Also known as One-Shot.

Z smiled at Scarlet as she uninterestedly poured beer into some older guy's glass. He walked over to her and smiled.

"Hey Ze'ev," she said sweetly, "aren't you supposed to be working?"

"Eh," Scarlet laughed softly, "table 14 is being annoying with calling me every five seconds."

She leaned on the bar counter and plopped a hand to her cheek, "Are they calling you now?"

"No."

"Good," she kissed him while smiling and stood there, not caring if anyone saw them or judged them.

Some coughed behind Z, and Scarlet pulled away, blushing. She looked at the person behind them with wide eyes, and he turned around.

"Sorry," Selene said, biting her lip, "I didn't mean to bother you, but I would like you guys to meet someone."

Selene gestured to someone behind her, and immediately Z recognized him. It was Kaito Pierce, the only son of the wealthiest man in New Beijing, Rikan Pierce.

"Guys, this is Kai," she smiled at Kai, and by the way Kai's ears went pink, Z knew that he liked her, "Kai, Wo- Ze'ev, and Scarlet. Scarlet and Ze'ev, Kai."

Scarlet's posture changed from being bashfully caught kissing her boyfriend to a proud mother, "So. Are you two on a date," she asked, her French accent heavily dripping into the words.

"Pfft, no, no. I'm just here to tell Kai some important news."

"Regarding what? Your feelings," Selene and Kai blushed at the exact same time; it was almost comical. She shot Scarlet a glare and turned to Z.

"So, Ze'ev, can you get us a private table? Somewhere no one can hear us. The information I have to share with Kaito has to remain confidential," asked Selene as she put her most authoritative voice on. It worked.

"Of course. Table 10 is pretty private and is the best one you'll get for now. Or you can wait until table 21 finishes and leaves."

"Table 10 is fine."

"Okay. Follow me."

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Selene was all nerves when she and Kai finally sat down. She swiped her sweaty palms, forgetting that she was wearing gloves. And that one of them was covered with metal.

Selene's terrible aunt just dropped a bomb on her, and she was left to clean up the mess. And to do that, she had to make sacrifices. And that sacrifice was Kai. Something told Selene that this was the exact thing Levana wanted her to do, and she just fell right in Levana's trap.

"So what did you bring me here for?" Kai asked, fiddling with the paper that surrounded the utensils.

"Because I may not be able to see you for a long time," he flinched.

"What. Why?"

"Because Levana is a bitch."

"That I know. Is there another reason?" Selene looked into those beautiful copper-brown eyes and watched as an unruly piece of hair fell in between them. She felt the strange urge to reach out and swipe it away.

"Levana wants me to take over the company earlier than expected," she looked at Kai for a reaction but couldn't read his face.

"Why?"

"I don't know."

"I thought she wanted to keep her claws on the company for a long time."

"So did I."

"She's planning something."

"Yeah, and I think," Selene pause to lick her lips, "I think it's you." He furrowed his brow, wanting her to continue, "I think that she wants to take over your dad's company, and most likely, your dad will retire early, leaving you as the inheritor of his company. She is going to try to steal it from you. It will probably be easy for her because of your youth and inexperience. But it's just a guess, so don't go around panicking."

"Oh."

"Yeah."

"I'm going to miss you," Kai reached out and grabbed her hand, making Selene's heart perform a concert.

"Yeah. M-me too," they smiled at each other until her phone began to ring. She rumbled her throat and pulled it out, seeing that Sybil requested Selene and Winter in Blackburn Sky-scraper in the hour.

"I have to go."

"Yeah. Okay. Do you want me to walk you out?"

"Yes. That would be nice," Kai smiled and helped Selene out of her chair. They walked out together, calling goodbyes to Scarlet and Wolf, who were too busy making out again. Once they were outside, Selene called a taxi, and he opened the door for her.

"So, I'll see you again, Selene."

"I'll see you again, Kai," he closed the door and waved. She waved back.

Kai would see Selene sooner than he expected, except he won't know it's actually Selene. He'll be seeing Cinders at 5:00 tonight, just like she promised.