Trust

A week went by and Nathalie's coughing didn't get much better. Each day Emilie would give her more work and yell at her for the work she hadn't completed.

Gabriel on the other hand thought everything was going perfect. He hadn't noticed anymore of Nathalie's cough attacks, he also had absolutely no idea of how much work Emilie was giving her or even the fact that they hadn't been getting along.

Nathalie could only wish things would change but each day seemed the same as the other.  Gabriel opened the door to the office making Nathalie jump spilling her papers everywhere.

"Oh, I'm so sorry Nathalie," he rushed to help her pick them up. There was something strange about them though.

"Since when have you managed these files" he asked handing her a stack of papers 20cm high

"I-I just d-do those now as well."

Gabriel was still confused. He'd never asked Nathalie to do any of these. For once in a while, he actually noticed how tired she looked.

Under her eyes were dark circles and she looked a lot thinner and weaker than she used to be.

"Who asked you to do them?"

"Emilie, Sir" She had never seen more anger in his eyes. 

"I might need to have a quick word with her" he muttered under his breath before swiftly leaving. Emilie had only been alive for a week yet she was already causing trouble everywhere she could.

Pushing the door open, Gabriel paused "I don't think you need to worry about this anymore" he picked up the stack of files and and headed out the door

"I don't know what you're up to but it's quite irritating" scowled Emilie. Nathalie rolled her eyes, Emilie was so immature sometimes.

———————————————
Work became a lot less stressful for Nathalie after that but it didn't last very long.

"Gabe darling, I need someone to come to a photoshoot with me" Nathalie recognized that voice from a mile away

"I would love to accompany you but I'm behind on my designs"

Emilie sighed as her high heels clattered down the stairs.  It was not long  before Nathalie heard a voice. Her eyes darted to look at the floor and met Gabriel's.

"Uh Sir, do you need me to go fetch someth-"

"No. I need you" Had Gabriel lost his mind?

"Nathalie." His hands touched hers and for a second and Nathalie stopped. Gabriel's voice sounded desperate yet so helpless.

"Sir I I really think I should go and-"

"No" his eyes were watering. Fear filled her stomach, she tried to stand up to fetch help but Gabriel took her arm, making her sit back down.

Nathalie yelped as Gabriel collapsed on top of her, his face staring up at hers. It was like he was staring into her soul.

"I think I'll take my break now" Nathalie whispered not sure if she had just imagined it.  There was always that feeling in her stomach that Emilie was somehow going to ruin her job but she didn't let it get to her. Emilie ruled the Agreste mansion with an iron fist.

All of a sudden, there was a beeping sound "what's that noise?" She looked around. It was then when Nathalie shot up, waking from her sleep "It was just a dream" she held her chest

———————————————

This morning, Nathalie wanted to get a head start on her work, it would be better to get the work out the way now rather than staying late. As she walked into Gabriel's office to grab her laptop, she noticed something quite odd. Gabriel's computer was warm. No one had been in his office since Saturday "weird" Nathalie whispered to herself. She convinced herself it was nothing but she was about to regret it.

"Nathalie Sancoeur I think we need to talk. My office... now" His voice was rather shaky yet stern. What on Earth had happened? She rushed through the door to see a smirking Emilie and a shameful Gabriel.

"Nathalie I-" But before Gabriel could even finish Emilie burst out "Nathalie I just cannot believe you'd stoop this low, Gabriel is so upset because of you"

She only smirked when she saw Nathalie's bewildered face filled with confusement.

"But I sir I just I don't understand what why?" She was confused, not to be mention the fact that she could feel another cough attack coming and that really was the last thing she needed right now. Gabriel gave a disheartened sigh. 

"I'm disappointed in you, I thought we had trust. But clearly not anymore" Gabriel sounded like he was going to break

Nathalie's heart sank, she felt so strongly about the trust between them but it was destroyed almost like that. This was the last thing she needed right now with all the cough attacks and all the work Emilie had been piling on top of her.

"Nathalie, I case you're unaware breaking into and deleting files from my computer is unacceptable" Gabriel had a stern look on his face

"Gabriel, I-I would never. Someone must have set me up"

"It's Sir to you, only I call him Gabriel" Emilie tilted her head slightly with an irritated look

Gabriel shot Emilie an angry look, Emilie didn't have any right to say what his employees called him

"I don't think there's anyone else who could've done it but you" Emilie smiled

Suddenly, Nathalie remembered, when she came into work Gabriel's computer was warm. She hadn't touched it, Gabriel didn't touch it, Adrien was at school so the only answer was Emilie.

"Gabriel, fire her already!" Emilie stamped her foot

The pain Nathalie felt was unbeatable, it was like her world was being torn apart. Not only was she going to lose her job but she was also going to loose everything and everyone important to her, including her sunshine boy, Adrien.

"I quit" she whispered

"I'm sorry, I didn't quite catch that?" Emilie crossed her arms smugly. The room went silent.

"I said... I quit" Nathalie's allowed herself to cry. Tears ran down her pale cheeks, dripping onto her blazer.

Gabriel reached out to grab her hand but she pulled away sharply "No" her voice cracked

She ran down the stairs, stopping at the door "I guess you won Emilie."

To be continued ♡