Chapter Five | What are Friends For?

Ember signed the last shipment document as Carmon sorted out the small boxes onto the front counter. The packaging was galaxy-themed with small shimmering stars. The details in the boxes alone went to show how much the creators worked in showing off their skills.

"Holy tits these are cute," Carmon beamed.

She held up one of the cufflinks in her hand showing them off. The small constellation shimmering in the light.

"Here these are Libra," she plopped them into Ember's hand and looked for her own star sign. All the cufflinks had a small design on the back with the first letter of whatever Zodiac sign it was.

"Here we are!" She studied the design with a simple line almost like a capital "L" but with stars were covering it. When turned, the back that showed an 'A' for Aries.

'You think they're good?' Ember questioned.

"Definitely, it's subtle enough to add to any look really. Oh, Grumpy Pants has to wear these when he decides to show up," Carmon laughed, putting the jewelry back into their respected boxes.

'You got it from here? I should head back?'

"Yeah, yeah I got it, you go back to a college filled with beautiful boobs-I mean girls," she laughed and started to take the shipment into storage.

Whenever Ember made it back to campus she was rushing around to find her first class of the day. Even being there a week this was one of the only classes she still couldn't manage to find even when she was running late.

It wasn't until a figure dressed in black came running in the same direction as her. Before either of them could stop they collided into one another.

"Shit! I'm sorry," the familiar dude said trying to help her up. Ember shook her head and made a gesture for him to wait a minute while she quickly took out her phone. Opening the notes app she quickly typed handing it over for him to read.

"Not your fault, no need to apologize." Karter read out loud. "Not true, I was running and am an oblivious member of society," Karter laughed.

Karter was one of Ember's more chaotic friends-then again most of her friends were-what did that say about her?

Anyway, Ember met Karter at a coffee shop when in the city and at the time it was his first year at school, and he claimed to be sleep-deprived-personally Ember thought it was because he wasn't the greatest at paying attention.

To make a not-so-long story even shorter he picked up her order and was horrified by the taste of the coffee. It probably didn't help that Ember didn't like much of any sugar and wanted the darkest roast they had most days.

So naturally, she called him a dumbass and surprisingly he understood the sign then he called her gay-Ember had the lesbian flag on her shirt and for a moment she forgot about it and thought the dude had a great gay-dar.

He handed back her phone before he fixed his backpack over his shoulder. "Do you know where the fuck building A5 is?" he questioned. He looked around as if he could somehow see it in the cluster of people or the fact it was past the giant building like the one they were currently in front of.

Ember looked at her phone if they weren't late before they definitely were now. She pointed it out to Karter and they walked along the path to the building they needed to be in.

He hummed a song as they walked pushing past the vast amount of people going about their own days.

Today was sunny without too many clouds in sight, something rare in the middle of September. The rainy days were nice and calm but Ember always found herself tired and wanting nothing more than to be lazy and rewatch her favorite shows or anime. However, on, sunny days she felt more obligated to do something productive with her day as if she had no excuse to lounge around doing nothing.