Chapter Seven | Blankets and Stars

Despite not going to bed until one, which was something Ember wasn't anywhere near used to, she was somehow feeling good.

It was like the kind of mood that she hadn't experienced in a while-at least for no more than a few minutes.

Ember was happy.

Genuinely glad to get up and go to class, something that normally gave her anxiety.

It was just strange.

By the time Ember had made it back to her dorm from the showers, Holland was still fast asleep. Her soft snores and the nature sounds she had playing on her phone lightly filled the dorm.

Ember did her best to quickly get dressed and ready before she woke up. Ember had gotten pretty good at rushing around in silence over the years of waking up at the asscrack of dawn.

Randomly throwing on a pair of dark washed jeans, her favorite ahegao hoodie, and orange converse she was ready to leave when she noticed her notebook on the desk.

The small helpless romantic part of Ember's mind had an idea.

Did she think it through?

No.

Was she going to give it a try?

Damn right.

"After your classes, meet me by the water fountain closest to our dorm. I have a surprise and am not taking no for an answer. Wear something warm,

xoxo

- Em"

Ember read it over unsure if she would show up or think she was being weird and moving fast, but she didn't have much time to overthink it.

She grabbed her bag and phone before making sure Holland would see the note when she woke up. Surely things would be fine, the worst thing that could happen was that she said no. Ember could back up if she said so, probably.

As Ember went to her first class of the day she paid little attention, her mind was running on all the things she needed to get by the end of today. It was Thursday so that meant Holland would be finished with her last class by six.

She might have had her schedule on the back of the door, so what if Ember read it?

Ember looked at her computer for the number and quickly started to write a new text. Her phone was hooked up to her laptop so it looked like she was taking notes, hopefully, it did anyway.

Carmon and her used to love going out in a boat and simply watching the stars as they normally binged on their favorite meals.

However, this-most likely a terrible idea-was a bit of a last-minute kind of thing, but Ember crossed her fingers and hit send to the message.

It had been years since then, it was something Carmon would do out of the blue and it cheered her up. However, it would also make the perfect date, at least in theory. If Ember over thought it then it wasn't such a great idea, her mind came up with all the things that could go wrong.

Like what if she hated bodies of water?

Then Ember's laptop lit back up.

Wayne:
[ You're in luck! I'm in Manhattan until tonight. If you can be there by 6:30 I can get out on the water for the sunset then for an hour for the stars. Dinner included and if there isn't anything else it will cost around $400. ]
08:11

[ That works out perfectly, I'll have the money to you later today. ]
08:12

Ember shut her laptop and did her best to make it look like she was paying attention to the class at hand before it ended and she rushed out.