vi. lion's den

"Are you dead?"

Peering into the dilapidated building, you didn't sound all too concerned if your new (forced) companion was dead or alive. After Chrollo had boldly exclaimed that he had needed you, you had quickly became flustered and demanded an explanation.

As it had turned out, he hadn't needed you, per se, so much as your abilities. He needed information — information you weren't sure you could provide yet, considering he had remained tight-lipped about any specifics. Instead, he had led you out of the building, only to be confronted by Zeno Zoldyck and another whom you could only assume was Silva Zoldyck. At the sight of them approaching, you had quickly veered off, telling Chrollo you'd wait for him. You had locked eyes with Zeno for a moment — if he recognized you, he didn't show it.

You could hear the sounds of fighting inside, but resisted the urge to peek. That'd be suicide, and you remained true to your word. After a short amount of time — much shorter than you had been expecting, honestly — the door had opened, and Zeno and Silva had walked out, both completely disregarding you. For a moment, you thought the strange feeling in your chest was relief, but wrote it off. Not relief, but you weren't sure what else it was as you peered in.

Unfortunately, Chrollo wasn't dead, meaning you'd still have to go with him to see the rest of the Phantom Troupe. It wasn't ideal, but you had given your word so you wouldn't back out now. Instead, you walked further in, taking a moment to admire what was left of the interior before your eyes stopped on Chrollo. He looked a bit worse for wear, but all of the injuries were superficial. You sighed.

"And here I was hoping I'd be left off the hook."

Chrollo's smile turned dry as he approached and walked past, only stopping to wait for you to follow him again. "How sad," he feigned sadness, although it was easy to tell he wasn't really. "I thought I was beginning to grow on you."

Your gaze burned into his back as the two of you walked, eyes shrewd and thoughtful. No way the Zoldycks would just walk off on a job, unless... "You either hired for their employers to be killed, or you paid those two more money than their original boss. Correct?"

You couldn't see Chrollo's face, but could only imagine the smile on his face as he spoke. "I hired somebody to kill the Ten Dons, yes. With money off the table, there's no reason for them to continue."

You almost came to a complete stop. "The Ten Dons? Of the mafia?"

He looked back at you from over his shoulder, expression turning unreadable. "Is that a problem?"

For the first time tonight, you smiled widely, not believing the luck of it all. "Not at all. I hate those mafia bastards, so good riddance."

Turning back to the front before you could see his facial expression change, Chrollo continued to walk. You continued to follow.

It was chaos all around, but Chrollo wasn't bothered by it, walking through it all as if this was nothing. To him, it probably was, and you followed his lead, not paying the dead bodies of various mafioso a second thought. You had to be careful where you stepped — without shoes, the last thing you needed was to step on broken glass or any other sharp object. Neither of you were in a hurry, it seemed, so it was easy to watch your step.

Looking down at the ground, though, came at a cost. You hadn't sensed Chrollo stop right away, and unable to react in time you had bumped into his back, stumbling backwards immediately. In your momentary clumsiness, you had stepped backwards onto a bent piece of metal, the object piercing into the heel of your foot as a slew of obscenities left your mouth in retaliation. Chrollo had turned around, watching the scene in clear amusement. Shooting the Troupe leader a venomous glare, you managed to stumble back onto a blood-coated bench, ignoring the liquid in favor of yanking the piece of metal out of your heel. It wasn't super deep — certainly nothing for you to worry about too much. It still hurt, though, and without anything to protect it from the pavement, walking was going to be terrible.