iii. sanguine troubles

With the strange influx of new customers, something you could only attribute to the mafia auction that was currently going on, you had decided to take the day off. Sure, you needed to make money, but you also needed groceries, and wanted to scour the street markets in hopes that you'll find something you can use for your own shop. The vendors down there all knew you by name - you showing up to search for items wasn't exactly anything new.

Making sure the door was locked behind you, you had started to walk leisurely, the sun beating down brightly today. It wasn't unbearable - paired with the cooled air signalling the start of autumn, it was a perfect September day. Looking at the small paper list in your hands, you mentally decided you would do groceries last and hit the vendors first. You were not going to be lugging fruit around all day with the sun like this.

Neatly folding the paper into fourths and pocketing it, you easily made your way to the street vendors. Despite it being earlier in the morning, the streets were already bustling. Business men, in a rush on their way to meetings; families with screaming kids, complaining how it was too early; groups of younger adults, all unaware that a majority of the stalls were overpriced to prey on tourists like them. As per usual, you saw all the same types of people, nobody in particular standing out to you. A bummer. A part of you was really hoping you either ran into Chrollo, or got to see the blond from a couple days ago to get his information. Your morning shopping went by without a hitch, although it was quite uneventful. A couple of paper grocery bags on each arm, various produce and other foods stacked precariously in the bags, you carefully weaved through the crowds on your way home. Grocery shopping at the stalls down here had taken a couple of hours, and the noon rush was just starting to near it's peak as lunch time loomed near.

"The bounty is huge! If we can capture a couple, we'd have enough money to get Greed Island!"

Ah, that was a familiar voice. Stopping in your tracks, you peered in the direction of Gon's voice, seeing Gon, Leorio, and Killua walking down the sidewalk. They hadn't seemed to notice you yet, and you hummed, falling in step with them.

"What bounty?"

Your sudden appearance startled Leorio, and all three looked over at you in surprise.

"Oh, it's [Y/n]!"

You nodded in acknowledgement at Gon's astute observation, and repeated your question. The three exchanged looks, clearly debating on whether they could tell you.

"Not here," Leorio said, his face serious. "Can we talk about this at your shop?"

Curiosity peaked, you weren't about to turn them away. The four of you walked back, and you locked the door behind you and, after a moment of hesitation, led them upstairs to your studio. You weren't a fan of having people in your space, and clearly not used to guests, your studio apartment was a bit messy, but none of them commented on it. Gesturing to the small coffee table, you skittered on over to the kitchen, prepping a pot of tea for your impromptu visitors.

After a moment, you brought back four cups of white jasmine tea. After another moment, you pulled a package of cookies out of one of the grocery bags. Immediately, Gon and Killua began to snack.

"So what bounty?"

You weren't one for small talk, skipping straight to the point, and seeing as how both Gon and Killua's mouths were stuffed, Leorio was the one to fill you in on the situation.

"They put out bounties recently," he started, and you nodded, bringing the cup up to your lips to drink your tea. "All of the Phantom Troupe - each member is worth a couple billion jenny alone."