Chapter 7

Just over a month later, Lyla and Katie were on a plane flying to California for the wedding. The girls had gotten a suite at a hotel on the beach and planned to make a girls' weekend out of the trip. They would get in on Friday evening, Lyla and TJ would meet at the courthouse on Saturday morning to get married, and the Lyla and Katie would stay through Monday to see the sights and enjoy a few days of vacation time before flying home.

Lyla and Katie planned to just a cab to the hotel upon their arrival, but after grabbing their luggage from the baggage claim area, they spotted a chauffeur holding up a sign with Lyla's name on it.

"I'm Lyla Davenport," she said, walking up to him. "Excellent, Ma'am" Mr. Carson asked me to take you wherever you needed to go, and also asked that I let you know I will be available to pick you up in the morning as well, to provide your transportation to the courthouse."

"How thoughtful" said Katie, giving Lyla a little wink.

"Thank you!" responded Lyla, and she provided the driver with the hotel information. The driver gathered the ladies bags, loaded them into the trunk of a luxury town car, and took them to their destination.

Lyla texted TJ to let her know they had arrived, and also to thank him for the car. He responded simply, letting her know to message him if she needed anything, and that he would see her in the morning. All of their communication was this way. Very simple, straightforward and direct. Nothing personal and rarely over the phone. Text and email was the preferred method for both of them, as it helped to keep everything non-personal.

Lyla and Katie had dinner at the hotel then went for a walk along the beach.

"Are you nervous?" Katie asked.

"Yes," responded Lyla. "But only because it's so unconventional, and I'm basically entering into a two-year contract with someone I barely know. It feels kind of like when I started school. Starting a new chapter of my life, taking a big step, and not knowing quite what to expect."

"Who knows, maybe you'll fall in love with each other and live happily ever after" Katie responded wistfully, ever the romantic.

"I hardly think that's likely," Lyla responded dryly "for so many reasons."

"I know, but a girl can hope. We should probably head back, you've got a big day tomorrow."

"Yep, getting married, going shopping and lounging on the beach. Just a typical day" Lyla said, smiling and linking arms with Katie. And they turned back to the hotel.

Lyla didn't sleep well. As much as she tried to make light of what she was doing, she still felt heaviness with the thought of getting married again. She kept telling herself it was just a contract, and it didn't mean anything to her beyond a contractual agreement, but she still struggled with it. Her first marriage was riddled with pain, shame and self-loathing, and the thought of being married again definitely made her feel queasy.

*****

"Well, they're here" TJ said to Travis, as he read the text from Lyla letting him know of her arrival and thanking him for the car.

TJ and Travis were sitting in TJ's office, sipping on whiskey.

"You should have gone to pick her up" Travis responded.

"No" replied TJ, "that definitely didn't seem like a good idea. This whole process has been intentionally detached. Sending the car seems like an appropriate thing to do, but going in person might have made her uncomfortable."

"How so?" asked Travis.

"It's hard to explain," TJ started. "We're both going into this determined to keep it strictly contractual. I don't want a relationship, but for the most part, I'm indifferent toward it. It's a contract, and agreement and I plan to go about my life as normal. But she's much more guarded. Specifically opposed to any type of personal entanglements along the way. She hasn't said so, but I definitely get the impression that her last marriage was rough on her, and that she's actively trying to avoid any of the relational pitfalls from her past seeping into this arrangement."

"Hmmm..." Travis considered, "Seems like a lot of baggage, Dude. Just be careful, then. You don't need some crazy ex coming around to complicate things."

"Well, she said he's in prison, so there's probably some truth to the 'crazy' label, but hopefully there won't be an issue with him coming around."

"Prison, huh? Yep, the girl's got baggage. Definitely good to keep this thing as uncomplicated as it can be. If that's even possible, considering how convoluted the whole thing is to being with" Travis chuckled to himself, thinking how glad he was that it was TJ going through this mess, and not himself.