Chapter 13

"I'm ready when you are" said TJ coming out of his bedroom.

"Ok, me too" replied Lyla coming out of her room, wearing a navy tank top, jeans and sandals, with her hair in a ponytail.

"You look nice" he said, without even registering that it might be too personal of a comment and might make her uncomfortable.

"Thank you," she said, a light blush creeping up her face. She was suddenly struck with how attractive TJ was. His dark hair was in messy waves and he looked great in his t-shirt and jeans. This was the first time she had seen him so relaxed and casual.

They left the condo together, both trying to think of something to say to break the ice.

"So, how long have you known Travis?" Lyla asked as they walked down the street toward the bar.

"We were roommates in college" TJ replied. "Absolutely nothing in common, but I think that's what made our friendship work. He's the perpetual jock, played football and chased the ladies. I studied and stayed in my room most of the time."

"That's cute" she smiled. "He seemed like a nice guy when I met him when we... before." She said, obviously avoiding the mention of having met him when they got married.

"How about you and Katie?" TJ asked.

"We met when I moved into my apartment. She lives across the hall. She's been the best friend I could have ever asked for" Lyla said, smiling to herself.

They kept up the light chatter the three blocks to the bar and walked inside.

"Lyla!" Travis yelled as he saw the two enter. He even walked around the bar and came to give Lyla a big hug.

TJ cringed a little, remembering how Lyla had stiffened when he tried to give her a hug last night, hoping that Travis' hug wouldn't make things awkward. But he was very surprised when he saw Lyla give Travis a welcoming hug in return.

"Hi Travis" she said, hugging him back warmly.

"Come on, you two, have a seat at the bar." Travis said, motioning them over to a couple of empty stools.

TJ stared for a second, before following Lyla and Travis to the bar. He wasn't quite sure what to make of Lyla's friendliness toward his friend, and if he was honest with himself, he was a little jealous.

"So, what brings you to town? TJ hasn't told be anything." Travis asked, as he went back behind the bar. "And what can I get you to drink?" he asked.

"Stone, Arrogant Bastard for me" TJ said, sitting down on a stool next to Lyla.

"I'll just have a Dr. Pepper" Lyla said.

"Nothing a little stronger?" Travis asked.

"No, I don't drink... much" Lyla responded. "Besides, I've gotta walk home" she said, giving Travis a wink.

Travis served their drinks and moved along the bar to attend to other patrons.

TJ drank half of his beer in one gulp. He was confused, and a little frustrated. Travis had already elicited more smiles and playfulness from Lyla in two minutes, than he had been able to over the span of several meetings with her.

"I'm glad we're here" Lyla said, smiling at TJ. "I haven't socialized much in a long time. It's nice to be around people."

"Good" said TJ, brushing off his frustration from a moment before. "It's nice to see you smile."

Lyla smiled and blushed, and took a drink of her soda, not sure what to say in response.

"So, what brings you out this way?" asked Travis, the next time he was down at their end of the bar.