Sober

Meredith was in the kitchen putting dishes away when she heard the front door open.
"Heads up," Maggie warned when she walked in before Amelia and Scarlett.
"What?" Meredith asked but then she realized what when she saw Scarlett and Amelia behind Maggie.

"Bed, now," Amelia said.
Scarlett eyed Meredith and then raced up the stairs to Amelia's room. She laid on the bed and stared at the ceiling lost in her thoughts. Her head was everywhere and nowhere at the same time. She was coming down from her high and knew it wasn't going to end well.

"You found her?" Meredith asked when Scarlett was out of view.
"More like she found us. She just showed up at the hospital," Amelia explained as she got herself a glass of water.
"Is she-" Meredith started to ask.
"Totally blasted? Yep," Amelia said and then took a seat with a sigh.
"I figured I'd let her sleep it off and then talk to her in the morning," she added after taking a sip.
"Does she know who you are?" Meredith asked and then looked from Amelia to Maggie.
"She hasn't said anything, but I think she knows something's up," Amelia said.

After talking to her sister briefly, Amelia headed upstairs to find her daughter laying on her bed with her eyes wide open.
"I may be high out of my mind, but I'm not stupid," Scarlett said when she heard the door open.
"I never said you were stupid," Amelia said and walked closer to her bed. She laid down next to Scarlett and looked up at the ceiling with her.
"You know, my middle name is Amelia," Scarlett stated and continued to gaze at her ceiling.
Amelia looked down for a second and stayed silent.
"My parents told me that Amelia was the name of my birth mother. Weird, huh?" Scarlett added while keeping her eyes locked on the ceiling fan above her.
"So, you know-" Amelia started to say as she turned to her kid.
"Yeah, I know you're my bio mom," Scarlett said fast and sat up.
Amelia sat up too and asked cautiously,
"Are you mad?"
Scarlett thought for a moment.

She wasn't upset that Amelia was her birth mom. In fact, it sort of worked out because both of the Callahans were no longer around to care for her. She just didn't know how it would all work out or if Amelia even wanted her.

"No, I'm not mad," Scarlett answered. She has yet to look her mother in the eyes. Amelia couldn't really gauge what Scarlett was feeling and she had no idea what was going on in her head.
"Well, are you happy, upset, pissed off? You have to help me out. I can't read your mind." Amelia said kind of awkwardly.
Scarlett finally turned to Amelia and she said,
"I don't know how I feel."
Amelia nodded and then said,
"Well, if you ever want to talk about anything or if you have any questions, you'll let me know?"
Scarlett nodded and then asked,
"So like, am I your daughter now, or?"
Amelia chuckled and said,
"Well, you've always been my daughter-"
"I mean- do I live here now? Are you my legal guardian since... since the Callahans are gone?" Scarlett wondered.

Amelia knew she wanted to be a part of Scarlett's life, but at the same time she didn't want to feel like she was trying to replace the parents Scarlett already had and grew up with. She wanted to respect Scarlett's wishes, even if it meant sending Scarlett to live with Elise in California.

Amelia looked at the girl seriously and after a moment of thinking she started to say,
"I will do whatever you need me to do. If you need a legal guardian, I will figure out what I need to do to get that sorted out. If you need me to just be your sponsor, you have my number don't hesitate to call. If you need a friend, I can be that too. and if-"
"If I need a mom?" Scarlett questioned.
That stopped Amelia dead in her tracks. Then she said,
"If you need a mom, I will "mom" the crap out of you."
That made Scarlett smile a little and Amelia added,
"I would never want to replace Kelly. I know she's the one who raised you and she's the one who you'll think of when you think of your mom. I just want you to know that I can be whatever you need me to be."
Scarlett smiled and then went in for a hug which surprised Amelia.