Long Way to Happy

As the end of October was approaching, Meredith and her sisters were working on Halloween costumes for the kids. Zola wanted to be a doctor, Bailey a superhero and Ellis wanted to be a fairy.

On the Friday night before Halloween, Meredith was doing some last minute fixes on the costume while Scarlett was on the couch watching tv. Meredith noticed how quiet the girl was lately but didn't want to bring it up and put her on the spot. They weren't that close and haven't really talked just one on one.

Amelia got home by nine that night and Meredith was still up in the kitchen.
"Hey, how did the costumes turn out?" Amelia asked.
"Good, they're all ready for tomorrow," Meredith answered and then asked,
"Do you know if Scarlett has any Halloween plans with friends or if she's coming trick or treating with us?"
"Not sure. I assume she has plans with friends though," Amelia said as she opened the fridge looking for something to eat.
"What friends exactly?" Meredith asked carefully.
Amelia shut the door.
"I don't know. Friends from school," Amelia told her.
Meredith made a face.
"What?" Amelia asked.
Meredith sighed and then said,
"Most teenagers hang out with their friends on a Friday night. Yours is passed out in front of the tv right now and it's not even ten yet."
"What's your point?" Amelia asked with a confused look.
"My point is I don't think Scarlett has friends. I think you should talk to her and see what's up because she's been pretty mellow lately," Meredith pointed out.
"She's a mellow kid. She's just been busy with school and work. She's tired," Amelia said with a casual look as she peered in the living room.
"Just talk to her, Amelia. Make sure everything's okay," Meredith advised and then walked out of the kitchen and headed up the stairs.
Amelia thought for a second and then walked to the living room toward her daughter who was sleeping on the couch. Even while sleeping, Scarlett's brow was furrowed. It seemed she never relaxed or was at peace.

"Hey," Amelia said quietly and shook her softly. Scarlett's eyes opened and she sat up.
"What time is it?" the teen asked.
"Almost 9:30," Amelia told her.
Scarlett sighed and said,
"I'm going to head up to bed."
Then she stood up. Amelia did the same and asked,
"Is there anything you want to talk about or tell me?"
Scarlett rolled her eyes.
"Jesus, Amelia. I didn't do any drugs today if that's what you're asking. Can you just chill out for once and trust me. Goodnight," she said with a sigh as she walked away.
Amelia didn't know what to say.
Scarlett isn't usually that snappy with her.

The whole next day flew by and soon enough it was time to go trick or treating. Amelia, Maggie and Meredith were by the door getting the kids ready to go out. Scarlett slowly walked down the stairs in sweats and said,
"I think I'm just going to stay home."
"What? No, cmon. It's Halloween," Amelia said with a smile.
"Do I have to?" the teen asked. It was clear she didn't want to.
"Well, what else are you going to do?" Amelia asked.
"Sleep," Scarlett said in a mellow tone.
"Sleep is for the weak, go get dressed. You're not staying here alone," Amelia told her and then looked back down at Ellis who she was helping tie her shoes.
Scarlett rolled her eyes and just walked down the stairs past Amelia and muttered,
"I am dressed."

While they were walking around, Scarlett caught a glimpse of Alexa and Kayla together. They were hanging out with some other kids from school as well. Scarlett made eye contact with Alexa for a second, but the latter chose not to acknowledge it. Scarlett instantly felt like crap and hated that she was spending Halloween walking around going trick or treating with kids. The previous year she spent it in a cemetery tripping on acid with some close friends, so this was a bit different.
"I think I'm going to head home," Scarlett said and stopped walking. The three adults turned around and Meredith followed Scarlett's gaze which led her to the group of teens walking together toward them.
"Were almost done, and then we can head back," Amelia said.
"I don't feel good," Scarlett lied.
"I'll walk her back," Meredith offered and then added,
"There's only a few more houses left anyways and I should get the snacks ready at home."
Amelia nodded and said,
"Okay, well see you back at the house."
She could tell something was up with Scarlett.