To the Only Boy I've Loved Before

In my search for sweet young adult authors, I discovered Liwen Y. Ho and her Evendale Arts Academy series. I enjoyed Book 1 so much that I bought Book 2, To the Only Boy I've Loved Before. Book 2 was even better.

Book 2 is told from the viewpoints of Ava and Liam. While Liam is a cute guy with blue eyes (and who can resist guys with blue eyes?), I liked Ava more. Being in Liam's head, when he thought about Ava, was kind of annoying. Probably, because my low self esteem whispers, "No guy would ever describe you as sassy, sexy, or smart." It didn't bother me at all when Ava thought about Liam's hotness.

Ava is a 15 year old, vocal major at Edenvale and besties with Hannah who is also a vocal major and Liam's younger sister. Hannah is dating Seth. How they met and fell in love is the story in Book 1, How to Kiss a Guy in Ten Days, about a fake relationship and a secret identity.

Liam is a 17 year old, graphic design major at Edenvale and a bit overprotective of his sister. Since his dad went to jail for insider trading. he's the man of the house now. He works part-time at a bookstore to help his mom with the bills.

Ava lost both her parents in a car accident and is now in foster care. Her current foster dad is creepy and grumpy, and her foster mom is depressed and ill. Ava tries to make the best of her situation, because she loves attending Edenvale and doesn't want to move to another foster home. She's been crushing on Liam ever since she met him, but refuses to tell Hannah, because he already has a girlfriend. What Ava doesn't know is that Liam likes her too, but he doesn't have the heart to break up with Savannah because her mom has cancer.

While I didn't laugh out loud during this story, I did smile a lot and even shed a tear or two during my favorite scene near the end of the book. I cared about Ava and worried for her safety. Sometimes she was too self-sufficient/proud to ask for help when she needed it, but Liam saw her need and found a way to make her life better. That's all I can say without spoiling the plot. You have to read the book to find out how Ava gets her happily ever after, and not just with Liam.

I intend to buy the rest of the books in the Edenvale Arts Academy series, as soon as I finish the massive TBR pile on my Kindle.
I award Book 1, How to Kiss a Guy in Ten Days, 3 roses- I liked most of it.
I award Book 2, To the Only Boy I've Loved Before, 4 roses- I loved it!

If you read both books or other ones in the series, let me know which one you like best.