It Was Always You

I bought the Ridgewater High box set by Judy Corry for 99 cents on Amazon Kindle and skimmed through the books until I found It Was Always You. The story is told in two points of views, and while I liked the main characters, Lexi and Noah, apart, I loved them together. Their witty banter, their longing looks, and their sizzling chemistry were all smoldering, and yet still PG. It's a sweet, clean read.

Lexi is a band geek with a crush on Harrison, the first chair trumpet player. When he congratulates her for winning second chair, he mentions going to see an action movie later that night. Lexi decides to surprise him and meet him there, but when she arrives, Harrison is with another girl.

Noah, Lexi's older brother's best friend, shows up and rescues Lexi from mortifying embarrassment by pretending to be her date. They conclude that if they keep pretending, Lexi will save face with her classmates and Noah will dissuade a clingy cheerleader. Noah just broke up with his girlfriend and isn't ready for a new relationship. Plus, his family life is a mess. His dad has a new family and no time for him, and his step dad beats his mom and sometimes him, when he intervenes.

Lexi had a crush on Noah for years, but gave up on him noticing her. When Noah finally does, he thinks he's not good enough for her. Lexi creates many awkward, cringeworthy moments when she talks to, well, almost anybody, and then she and Noah have to find a way to make her lies true. My favorite scene is when they practice kissing under the bleachers and then get caught by, never mind, no spoilers.

I must post a trigger warning for domestic violence. Some of the scenes were hard to read. But justice does prevail, and all the good guys get their happily ever after.

I rate this story 4 roses out of 5.

I loved it!