Chapter 1

For years, Penelope Featherington had set her heart towards one man. A man she knew would never see her past being his sister's friend. Ever since that fateful day, two days before her sixteenth birthday, when romance came into her life in one of the most unromantic and undignified way of throwing the love of her life from a horse with the divine power of the wind and her bonnet, she had continued to long for the man who everyone knew is leagues above her- unreachable, unattainable.

There were times- multiple a day, especially during the nights spent at the edges of the ball- when Penelope wishes she was anyone but herself. She pictured herself a few inches taller, more slender or a few stones lighter, for a brighter and warmer coloring. Features that call for adoration and begs to be written poems and ballads about by beguiled suitors. Features that Cressida Cowper seemed to have cheated off of whatever divinities that infernal witch prayed to, and left Penelope with the exact opposite of all she desired. Because maybe, then, Colin Bridgerton would look her way. Maybe his dances with her would require less persuasion by his mother; maybe his smiles would not be for a family friend but for a lady whom he could imagine sharing a kiss with; maybe his friendly nods of acknowledgement will be replaced with gazes of affection.

It was as improbable as the possibility of her being named the Season's Incomparable. And yet, she hoped. Hoped, wished, and prayed.

It wasn't until that one day, after her weekly afternoon tea at the Bridgerton's new home- sans the new Lord Anthony Bridgerton and his wife- Number Five, a name that always pulls out a short chuckle from her throat whenever it comes to mind, that her heart would finally and truly break. For the longest time, even before her debut to society, even without their knowing of her heart's desire, the people of the ton had made it a point to constantly remind Penelope, as much as social etiquette allowed, that she can never catch herself a man of his standing in more ways than one. Still, their words could only manage a scratch compared to the dent of her incredible self-awareness of all her faults. But neither of those things can weigh against the words of her beloved from the other side of the door within the threshold of Number Five.

"...and I am certainly not going to marry Penelope Featherington!"

She suddenly stopped in her tracks and could only let out a surprised "Oh!" due to the overwhelming and varying feelings and emotions that were battling within her along with the ironic numbness of shock that that one line brought.

She could only stare at their horrified faces for what felt like years until she was able to compose herself with the power of God knows what and looked pointedly at Colin with as much grace as she could muster. "I never asked you to marry me."

She was so humiliated and was so busy trying to keep her breathing even that she barely noticed the reddening cheeks and soundless stuttering that Colin could but manage. "And I never- I never said to anyone that I wanted you to ask me." She glanced at her hands that were forming fists hidden under the folds of her frock, making sure to blink away any tears that might threaten to come out.

"Penelope, I'm so sorry," Colin breathed out.

She looked up at him quickly, her face, fortunately, remaining passive. "You have nothing to apologize for."

"No. I do," he said, genuine shame reflected on his face. "I hurt your feelings, and-"

"It's fine. You didn't know I was there." It wasn't fine. It wasn't fine at all. But she tried to maintain the sensibility she was honing from the years of underhanded insult she experienced. He wouldn't have said what he said, had he known she was there. He was too much of a gentleman for that. She couldn't begrudge him of the safe perimeters that his own home brought him to be able to converse and complain as much as wishes to his brothers. If only half of the people of the ton had the decency to do so as well, she'd have less pain to encounter as a young debutante.