Chapter 18

When they arrived back at the Featherington house, they saw Portia Featherington standing in front of their door. She looked emotionless but Penelope could see the wrinkles on her frock that must have been the target of the baroness' anger.

"Oh no..." she whispered as she looked out of the carriage's window, the fear in her expanding in her stomach.

Colin grasped her hand wordlessly while the other caressed her shoulders. She didn't look at him but knew there was deep concern in his eyes. He hadn't said anything, which was what she preferred. She didn't want to hear comforting words that were baseless and fruitless. Neither of them knew who their eavesdropper was, therefore would not be able to fully assess and counteract the situation.

He kissed the top of her head and she could already feel tears trying to escape. "I'm here," he said. She nodded just before the groomsman opened the door. Colin got off and held her hand as she gingerly went down, only looking at her feet and the ground below.

Colin remained holding her hand, his thumb making comforting circles on the back of it. When she finally looked up, she almost retreated at the expression on her mother's face.

"Get in." Her voice was stern but uncharacteristically controlled. "Now," she added with a lower volume yet in a more unnerving manner. Penelope's lips were trembling as she nodded and went in.

Colin wouldn't let her go even under the glare of her mother. "Thank you for escorting Penelope home, Mr. Bridgerton, but I think it would be best if you leave." Her tone was icy compared to how she welcomed him just hours earlier.

"But Lady-" Colin tried to say, his grip on Penelope tightening.

"Briarly, do escort Mr. Bridgerton to the door." She started to walk away, seemingly expecting Penelope to follow.

Penelope smiled at him reassuringly and cocked her head at the door. He sighed but gave a nod. "Good day, Lady Featherington, Penelope."

When their butler closed the door of the drawing room, the silence grew like a hum of a drum, which Penelope thought must be attributed to her speeding heartbeat. She could barely remember a time when her mother was without words. Whether she was angry, sad, or happy, she always made a point to express herself verbally. Portia sat down and Penelope followed warily.

She knew why but she was unsure as to how her mother could have found out her biggest secret so quickly. She and Colin spent a little over an hour scouring the park for any semblance to their unwanted audience but to no avail. And in less than thirty minutes of travelling back home, the news had spread. She was surprised and disappointed that it did without the help of a gossip column to do so. Unfortunately, she underestimated the fame and desire of the masses to de-mask Lady Whistledown.

She had imagined the reaction of society and even practiced what she would say when the time when she would need to defend herself and answer to interviews and interrogation arises. She knew a lot would be outraged, but she also thought that she was unmemorable enough as an individual that the scandal would fade after a few weeks. They were all optimistic, she won't lie- probably too optimistic if her mother's reaction has any say in the matter.

"Mother..." she said softly. When Portia didn't answer, she cleared her throat. "I'm... Did something happen while we were away?"

"I don't know, Penelope," she answered icily. "Is there anything you think I should know?"

"No-" she said unconsciously, and quickly shut her mouth the moment the word passed her lips.

"I see. So you planned on keeping me in the dark for the rest of your life, like an ignorant child you probably think I am."