Chapter 6

"...Francesca Bridgerton had been seen dancing with one Earl of Kilmartin for the past few balls of the season, who seemed utterly smitten with the young lady, from what I have only heard, during the most recent performance at the Royal Opera House a day ago.

And with glee I greet you, my dear readers, for I could see no better candidate for a love match for this season. We are sure to hear wedding bells soon enough. Hurrah!"

Penelope had just sealed her note in a crisp envelope when a knock came at the door. It was an odd time for anyone to do so as her mother had also brought Felicity to play with Hyacinth Bridgerton at Number Five, which Penelope thought was an excuse for her mother to talk about gossip with the dowager viscountess. And she had just finished her meal an hour ago, and so she had no need for any maids.

"Yes?" she called out.

The door opened slightly and someone cleared their throat. "Miss Penelope, you have a visitor."

"Me? Who-" Penelope stopped.

"I have the card with me, Miss." She saw the butler reach out with a card on hand.

She merely waved it away, knowing who would visit her at this hour. Surely the arrival of her sister and mother at their house resulted in the sudden visit. "No need, Briarly. Just say that I will be down in five minutes. Please prepare some tea and biscuits."

Once she thanked him, the butler headed downstairs and Penelope decided to quickly get ready. It would not do well to keep her friend waiting. When she finished and was about to head to the door, her eyes caught the envelope on her writing table. Her father's solicitor was to arrive in about twenty minutes. Maybe she can keep it hidden under the folds of her frock from Eloise's prying eyes until the solicitor arrives.

Mr. Rounton was the man that first introduced the idea of Penelope's double life as the notorious Lady Whistledown. He first came across her writings back in 1813 in their drawing room in pure accident and, despite Penelope's anxiousness about the whole ordeal, seemed to have had a laugh out of it and suggested that she continue with her writing. And now he was basically her partner in crime and was like a second father to her now that hers had long passed.

"My dear Eloise! What pleasures do I owe you for such a visit?" Penelope said as she opened the door to enter.

"Simply that of your presence, Miss Penelope."

Penelope stopped short at her tracks. "C-Colin?" She almost tripped and had to hold onto the door frame to right her posture.

"Good afternoon, Penelope." He stood up and walked towards her. He smiled at her surprised face and reached out for her hand. When she didn't respond he gently lifted her fingers himself. She couldn't help but blush when his lips touched their tips, as if he hadn't done that so many times already. "What's this?" he asked her.

Penelope was still trying to catch her breath and could only manage a "what?"

Colin let go of her hand and bowed deeper to reach for something on the floor. When he rose he was holding onto a white envelope without any writing or stamp. Penelope gasped and snatched it out of his hand. Colin's brows rose in surprise. "I-this-" she stuttered, her heart hammering too loud to let her think. "It's uhm...For my father's solicitor." It wasn't a lie but it was far too dangerous a topic if he chose to continue with it.

"Why do you have a note for your father's solicitor?" He eyed her and the envelope.

"Well, my father's dead." She said suddenly, cursing how her wits have completely left her in such a delicate conversation.