chapter nineteen

Lucius watched his wife pace through the flowers, the daily prophet clenched in between two fists.

"Care to inform me what has you so flustered?" He asked on his approach.

"Flustered is hardly the correct term, another child at Hogwarts was killed!"

"How?"

"Nobody is quite sure. Blame is being tossed around, Slytherin's basilisk being the mob favourite"

"... it hardly matters what is causing this damage. Albus Dumbledore hasn't moved for change."

Narcissa Malfoy looked into her husband's eyes and handed him the crumpled newspaper.

"Malfoy preening will mean nothing to my Black blood if my baby boy gets even a scratch. Your move dear"

Lucius sighed into the roses. He turned inside to gather Goveners. Perhaps it was time for the fall of the great Albus Dumbledore.

"We could get a record player for this room"

"There are normal ways to play music Thomas, Hermione has a book of spells on it"

"Ah Potter, there is no magic as great as the sound of real music"

"I'm pretty sure it's real music"

"Malfoy said the same thing, he soon saw the error of his ways"

"In Draco's shoes I would lie too"

Tom rolled his eyes.

"It's my birthday soon anyway, you could get one for me for a gift"

Harry turned up from his potions homework and smirked. "Cocky"

"Me? Always"

The brunnette was sprawled over the white duvet, his shirt unbuttoned and tie lost on the floor. Harry had never seen anyone quite as beautiful.

"I'm not sure if Hogsmead will have something up to your standards"

"Mmm"

Harry stood up and laid down his fountain pen (a muggle technology Tom insisted he try). He stepped over to the bed and fell down beside his Slytherin.

Tom's arms fell over his chest and he reached an ink smeared hand into his hair.

"A nice green perhaps"

"Ofcou-"

There was a sharp knock on the door. Tom huffed and the pair eased themselves up.

Harry moved toward the door.
The knock came again and Harry opened the door.

"Draco?"

"Hello Potter, is Tom in here?"

Harry turned around to see Tom's head pop up from behind the bed.

"You two should probably practice that"

"Fooled you"

Draco pointed to the ground, at a green and silver tie discared on the floor.

"Damn."

"Anyway, my father just floo called me to say that he is gathering the governers to finally remove Dumbledore from his position"

Tom and Harry looked at eachother wide eyed.

"So if you two are going to... uh... may as well do it tonight because they will be here tomorrow"

"Thankyou Draco, see you at dinner"

They both settled on the edge of the bed.

"Well?"

"Two birthday presents then."

Dinner was a tense affair. Harry could barely keep his eyes of the wiry old man, king over the sea of youth, gleaming eyes that his parents worshipped gazing upon his subjects.

Harry remembered nights were the Order of the Pheonix came over. It felt like a fancy name for a bunch of friends getting together, until Dumbledore arrived.

It was hard not to get swept up in it, the adoration. Their eyes all changed, they saw a hero in an odd old man, Harry knew they saw Dumbledore as the fathers that has failed them, returning to smile with their friends and advise them on their simple little lives.

Harry caught his eye, and smiled, raising his goblet to the man.

Long live the king, he thought, and couldn't help the small laugh that escaped.

The Gryffindors babbled mindelessly. Hermione and Ron couldn't leave eachother alone for a single moment.

"He's gotten himself a girlfriend you know"

"Remarkable feat if you ask me" Neville insterted.

"Fuck off, I'm not all bad"

"Aw Ronny, I like you, I'm just suprised a normal girl does too"

"Who is it Ronniekins?" He asked.

Ron puffed up a bit. "Lavender Brown"

Hermione hissed something foul under her breath and Neville spluttered a laugh.

"The Trewlawney wanna-be?"

"Aw get fucked Potter, that was ages ago"

"But she still thinks she can see the future and shit right?"

Ron huffed. "Maybe she can"

Harry hoped Lavender Brown was not a seer of any sort as he and Tom slunk out of their room.

"Do you even know where we are going?"

"I've been at this school for five years Harry"

"I doubt you've been to Dumbledore's office more than I have"

"Reckless Gryffindor behaviour I suppose"

"And random tea parties, though I did have quite the knack for breaking rules"

"I saw the aftermath of your second year enterance"

"That almost got me expelled, but Potter Weasley special treatment saved the day"

"I never understood your incredible evasion of punishment"

"Our parents are chummy with Dumbledore... have him over for dinner chummy"

"Disgusting"

They ducked into an alcove, away from the prowling caretaker, and then continued on their way.

It didnt take much longer, though it took going through a few types of candy to get the door to the headmaster's office open. Ironically blood pop was the ticket.

Harry looked at Tom.

"This is it."

"Are you ready?"