chapter twenty one

Draco was bewildered when he saw the old man perched the the teacher's table.

"You didn't kill him?" he asked the second they were in an empty hallway.

"No, the aurors showed up just after we did... it was a poorly planned attack regardless, I am beginning to question how prepared we are for this"

"The aurors? You mean Potter's family?"

"Yes. Potter and Black, then they took Dumbledore home with them. It was all rather inconvenient"

Draco glanced up and down the corridor.

"Well the trial will continue then, it will likely take place in the holidays, less suspicious and the Governors wont have to come up with a replacement"

Tom visibly stiffened. "I forgot about the holidays"

"My parents have made it very clear that you are always welcome at our house"

"Thankyou Draco."

The blonde smiled. "I am your friend Riddle. And I know it would kill you and Potter to keep your hands off one another for more than a week"

Tom blushed which was a surreal experience for Draco.

"Your father wont mind us, me, coming to the trial with him?"

"It will be public anyway, we would be attending as concerned students"

"Thankyou"

Draco was used to Tom's awkwardness toward his family's care for him, it was the first weakness Draco Malfoy ever saw in his friend.

"We should keep going, get Wendellson"

Tom glanced at the neatly folded armful of Carlos' clothes under Draco's arm. "You do not have to pretend you don't care for him Draco"

Harry could feel Snape's eyes on him as he sat down. The glare, ever present from his first day of school. Thirsty for revenge.

Hermione settled beside him, which would make this way worse because Snape also despised Granger.

"Silence, I will collect your essays on animagi forms and then, we will discuss the reading you should have done"

He glanced at the Slytherins. No sign of Tom, or Draco. His throat stiffened. Carlos. He was due to wake up and he didn't get to be there. He dug through his bag for the stupid essay and didn't bless Snape with a second glance.

Carlos frowned. He supposed this was the infirmatry. The blanket over his was scratchy and someone had changed his clothes. That was weird, but they could hardly keep him in his uniform.

Arelies was the last thing he remembered. In the reflection of a suit of armor. Maybe it was part of the plan? Draw suspiscion away from their group.

"Carlos!"

The kid sat up at the sound of Draco's voice. Tom and Draco had come to be with him.

The blonde dashed to the kid's side and Tom watched, smiling as Draco tried to remain composed.

"Hello, how long was I petrified?"

"A while, you know what happened?"

The Malfoy demeanor was slipping at the edges, Tom could see Draco's hands itching to hold Carlos and he bounced erratically on him toes.

"Well, I saw Arelies, now I am here. Is... um... he dead?"

"No, Potter's stupid family got in the way, I have some clothes for you. Do you want to get out of here?"