chapter two

Harry glanced, again, over the sea of people. His mother and father were preening over his sister, Rose. It was her first year.
He wanted to feel something about that, but he had been numb since he and Thomas Riddle had ripped two Ravenclaws apart in the forbidden forest last year.

"This changes nothing"

Yeah. Why did he care where Riddle was? He adjusted his robes, and his fingers brushed his prefect badge.

Another thing he wanted to feel something about. He'd started whispering to himself in parceltounge at night, it lost its burning effect after a while.

"Harry, watch out for Rosie yeah? She is so brave but sh-"

"Dad. Stop fretting. She will be fine. And ofcourse I will look out for her"

His dad nodded. And then smiled.

"Im proud of you Harry"

"Thanks dad" he didn't feel any better, he just felt guilty.

Before long, he was helping Rose get her trunk into the train.

"I have to go to the prefect carriage Rosie, go make friends"

Rose beamed at him.

"Bye Harry" she said, turning down the narrow passage of the train.

"Love you" He managed.

"Love you too"

Still numb. He faked a smile and turned away.

Hermione was the other Gryffindor prefect, she was wating by the door when he arrived.

"Harry, you will not believe who got Slytherin prefect"

"Who?"

"Fucking Thomas Riddle"

A spark ignited in the pit of Harry's chest. A burning excitement. Fucking Thomas Riddle. Feeling felt alien now. 

He pulled his best annoyed face and groaned.

"And Pansy Parkinston"

He didn't have to fake that groan. That girl was foul. He winced internally, he had killed alongside Riddle and he had the audacity to say Pansy was foul. Perhaps it said more about Pansy than anything.

Hermione opened the door and they entered. Thomas and Pansy sat in the corner. The Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw Prefects were as far away from them as possible. The only remaining seating was right by them.

"They gave Potter Prefect?" Riddle sneered.

"Surely that could be considered cruel? Like making a baby run a marathon"

"Or like letting Riddle play Quidditch" Harry added, ignoring the fact he was technically insulting himself.

"I won't be missing the house cup this year, though your only decent player graduated last year so I doubt you'll make it that far"

"Alright, sit down Potter, Granger" McGonagal ushered her students into the seating.

Harry found himself settled right beside Riddle. He wasn't sure if he was imagining the waves of smugness washing over him. Bastard got the last word.

"Congratulations. You're Prefects. As Prefects you have a few responsibilities.

First and foremost you are role models to the other students. If you are caught breaking any rules or abusing your new power, there will be consequences.

After the feast you will lead your first year students to your dormitories, shortly I will hand out a slip of parchment with the password for your doorway. You are responsible for telling the other students in your house this password and creating a new password monthly.