˗ˋ 12

CHAPTER TWELVE

-: seventh year :-

── IN WHICH THEY LEAVE CLASS

. . .

The first few days of school had passed in a flurry of realisation of just how tough this year would be. When Friday came, Charlie and Kaida had finished the tryouts sign up sheet, and pinned it to the notice board in the common room before dinner, and when they checked it the next morning, it was half full.

Charlie had booked the pitch for Tuesday evening, starting from exactly the minute after school ended. They happened to be in Defense Against the Dark Arts class again, the last ten minutes coming close.

The best friends had decided to see if they could leave ten minutes early to prepare the pitch. And so they had visited McGonagall, having to get somewhat crafty with their word choices to make it seem more appealing, after the teacher had rejected it the first time.

But they had gotten the pass, and as soon as the seconds hand on the clock that hung far too high up on the wall struck the eleven-minute mark, Kaida nudged Charlie, trying to discreetly put her things away as the Weasley boy put his hand up.

"Professor?" The boy asked, and Professor Rakepick looked up nonchalantly after a moment, wand slipped between the pages of the book she was reading, not to lose her place.

"Yes, Mr Weasley?" Half the class had looked up to see what was happening, Leo and Tonks were no different, and peered over at the friends. It just so happened that the lessons had been one of those more work-related ones, rather than the Professor standing in front of the blackboard and teaching them about a spell and the theory behind it and what it worked against.

"Well you see, Professor. I am captain of the Gryffindor Quidditch team, and today is my assigned day for my tryouts. I was hoping it would be possible for me and Kai to leave ten minutes early so we can set up the pitch. I have-" Charlie said, hand falling down to the desk before being interrupted.

"I don't see why you need those ten minutes. What is there to set up? A few balls? Make sure the stadium hasn't collapsed in on itself?" Rakepick chuckled to herself. It seemed she wasn't a fan of people missing any lesson at all. 

"Professsor, me and Charlie have been given-" Kaida joined in, quill half way down to her bag and trying to explain why they should go.

"Miss Phoenix, I don't understand why it's necessary for you to go as well. But I can tell you what is necessary, these questions. So you may finish them, and find your way down to the pitch in your own time. You're athletes, I suppose you could run there." Rakepick returned to her book. 

"She's my co-captain." Charlie stood up, bag already packed and the chair legs scratching against the floor as Kaida did the same, snapping her book closed and slipping it into her bag. "We've both finished the questions, and have been given permission by McGonagall." 

Kaida pulled the slip of parchment out of her bag, having been the one to keep it just in casee Charlie managed to lose it, as he was known for doing. With a reluctant sigh, Rakepick returned her wand to her book, standing up and walking to the back of the classroom, plucking the parchment out of her hand.

"Very well. Miss Tonks, Mr Abbott, I expect you to inform them of the homework." Rakepick clearly knew there was nothing she could do if McGonagall had given them permission, and gave in.

"Of course." Tonks grinned, looking up at Kaida and Charlie as they walked towards the door. "Hey - idiots!" She shouted after them, the pair peering back in through the door. "We'll come down and watch, if you'd like, get a feel for the competition."

"Step onto that pitch and you're dead meat, Nymphadora!" Kaida leaned back through the door, hand placed on Charlie's shoulder for balance, the best friends laughing when they saw Tonks' hair glare red. 

"Don't. Call. Me. Nymphadora." The Hufflepuff girl practically growled at them, Charlie and Kai laughing once more before Charlie pulled the door closed.

And as soon as the mixed class of Hufflepuff and Gryffindor disappeared behind it, they took off at a run, down the corridors, passing a rather surprised Sprout and almost knocking over Flitwick as they descended down the main staircase, and into the Entrance Hall.

They passed through there, still at a steady run, turning corners left and right to get to the exit. "No running in the corridors!" A nasty, recognisable shout could be heard and they finally came to a halt, breath echoing in the quiet of the hallway, turning to see Filch.

"So sorry Mr Filch. How's Mrs Norris?" Charlie's eyes glinted as he saw Filch's eyes light up at the sound of his beloved cat, mouth opening to talk.

"Sorry, no time to talk." Kaida interrupted him, just as Mrs Norris rounded the corner with a loud meow, Filch turning to fuss over her. It was a well known technique, just mention Mrs Norris and she would appear. 

And when Filch turned around again, all he got to see was their backs, almost down to the end of the corridor, footsteps loud against the stone. 

They would get to the pitch in no time at all.