˗ˋ 26

CHAPTER TWENTY SIX

-: seventh year :-

── IN WHICH SHE WAKES

. . .

When Kaida could remember things again, she didn't open her eyes straight away. No, she was in too much pain for that, a dull pain that seemed to thud in time to her heartbeat, beginning at the back of her head circling slowly around to her temple. She was so sure that there would be a lump somewhere, or at least a nasty bruise. Maybe she would have to get muggle stitches, and a nasty scar that wouldn't fade into her skin and she would be able to show others.

She was sure that Ron and Ginny would love to see that the next time she was at the Burrow. And she was sure that if she ever saw her parents again, whether they kicked her out or not, and she would be able to announce that she got it from flying on a broom and scare them out of their wits. 

Merlin - she couldn't think about the pain anymore because Kaida was so sure that it was hurting more and more. But now that she was beginning to remember.. she knew what had happened to get to that point. 

Quidditch. She could remember Quidditch, could remember the red and green blurs of the other players, going from the swooping highs to the stomach-turning lows. But then it hurt to remember and the low murmur of conversation was joining her thoughts and everything, everything hurt.

"Fucking shut up." She groaned as she forced herself to sit up, a hand pressed to her pounding forehead as blindingly bright lights filled her vision. Blearily, she glanced around, many people surrounding her bed only distinguishable by their hair colours. Several blobs of ginger... then a cascade of dark with a couple blobs of blonde, and a singular head of bright pink.

The blob of pink leant forward, head tilting as they became clearer. "Hey there, princess." Kaida blinked and Tonks came into focus, a grin forming on her lips. "How do you feel after your hero's sacrifice?"

"Did Charlie get the snitch in time?" Kaida asked, no idea of any other response. That was the first thing on her mind, and most likely had been the last before being knocked out.

"You should lay back down." The blobs were becoming human now - the one who just spoke had dark skin, wore a blue tie and had extremely pretty features.. Dana. That was Dana. And the room behind Dana was materialising into somewhere Kaida recognised. And it made so much sense that they were in the Hospital Wing. "Kai - you have bruises all up your ribs and bandages on your head. Lay back down."

Kaida ignored her. "Where is he?" She asked, turning blindly towards the group. People swam in and out of focus. Theo.. Angelina.. Xavier.. Fred and George.. Tonks and-

"I'm here, Kai." Charlie was in front of her face and pulling her into a hug, a hard kiss pressed to the top of her head. "Don't worry about it, we won."

Kaida let out a sigh of undeniable relief. "Oh thank God." She exclaimed, before laying back down - much to the annoyance of Dana, who rolled her eyes and began muttering something to Isla about people only caring about Quidditch all the time.

"Flattened them thanks to your relentless scoring." Tonks sang, practically dancing around on the balls of her feet, forever energised for some strange, strange reason.

"I think their keeper looked ready to drown himself in the Black lake." Leo chimed in thoughtfully. "The amount of times you - and of course Angelina and Rosa as well - scored was  legendary... you'll be tough competition later on."

Everything was beginning to calm down, the thudding pain becoming underlying as she glimpsed around at her friends and teammates. "I have no doubt you'll try your best to beat us." She replied, Charlie taking a seat besides her head and letting her rest her shoulders on her knee, more comfortable in the hands of her best friend than the well-used pillows of the hospital room.

"Of course." Tonks nodded. "Xavier's already plotting your demise for the Ravenclaws, me and Leo have been talking tactics since we watched the game."

"I remain impartial, considering that you just played my team." Isla inputted gently. "But I think the rest of yous will get flattened within minutes next time." That part was directed towards the Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs in the room, who only looked momentarily annoyed. "Really, good luck beating them two now. The pride'll go to their heads in no time."

"As if. Hufflepuff will flatten Gryffindor in seconds." Tonks sniped, the easy-going grin on her face still there. "Not minutes, seconds."

"We're the dream team, Tonks." Charlie chimed in. "You'll never beat us."

"Haha." The fake laugh rang through the Hospital Wing as Tonks rolled her eyes. "Okay, sure." She said. "Wanna bet on it? I already have one going on with your brothers." 

"Fred, George!" Charlie's jaw dropped, and the fake laughter was replaced with genuine sounds from all over. "You shouldn't be - ah, who am I kidding. I'd never be able to stop either of you. Mum hasn't ever been able to.. and I'm nothing in comparison."

Kaida giggled at the dismayed expression on his face. Big mistake. She let out another groan. "Ow. Fuck. I got hit hard." She murmured, hands crawling at the covers and pulling up the shirt. The bandages were only covering the cuts, which left a rather large expanse of purple-red skin to be stared at. "Bloody hell." She stared, and felt the eyes of her friends there as well.

There was a loud tutting noise and a scurry of footsteps. "Did nobody think to inform me our chaser with the possible death wish had woken up?" Madam Pomfrey came to the group, standing at the end of the bed. "Merlin, you Quidditch types don't half know the meaning of recovery, do you?" She asked.

The group remained silent, small smiles on their faces as their eyes darted all over the room, anywhere but Kaida or Pomfrey. She tutted again, shaking her head. "Weasley, put this balm on whilst I measure out a potion that will sort out that headache." Her hand reached into the pocket of her apron, throwing the small pot to the ginger. 

She turned to her patient. "You might have a concussion." She informed her. "So you'll be staying overnight."

"I'll stay with her." Charlie said instantly. 

"Go and eat dinner first Mr Weasley. All of you. And next time, it's only three visitors a time, unless it's the Quidditch team. Dumbledore seems to wish there to be an exception for that." Madam Pomfrey stared at them for a moment. "Well go on then, I hardly think all you lot would make up a very good team. Go on. Go to dinner."

"I reckon we'd be pretty good." Fred shook his head in disbelief as he and George began to make his way to the exit. "Don't worry Kai. We'll beat up Flint for you." 

And for some reason, Kaida didn't doubt that it would happen.