Chapter 5✔

Thors Perspective

From the moment I exited the dimly lit club, I could sense the enigmatic presence trailing me, like a phantom in the night. A subtle yet undeniable aura, this elusive figure remained just outside my direct line of vision. The unmistakable scent of a cologne that carried the musky echoes of my youth wafted through the air, a haunting reminder of days long past. Although this man did not pose an immediate threat, his unexpected reappearance after years of silence foreboded nothing but chaos and danger.

With my trusted handgun snugly nestled in the waistband of my jeans, I maintained my unwavering stride and determined course. The weight of exhaustion bore down on me, leaving no room for patience when dealing with my fathers devoted enforcer. I steered into a dimly lit alleyway and pressed forward, my heart beating erratically within my chest.

In the shadows, a chilling click of a guns hammer echoed, causing me to swiftly pivot. And there, like a specter materializing from thin air, stood the enigmatic Raphael. A sardonic grin curled my lips as our eyes locked. Well, well, Raphael, I drawled, my voice dripping with suspicion. Are you truly contemplating the audacity of pointing that trigger at your boss's own flesh and blood? my arched brow sent a silent challenge, a silent dare that hung in the tense air between us.

Thornton, he requires your presence, Raphael retorted with a barely perceptible motion, beckoning me into the sinister intrigue that awaited. A sigh of exasperation escaped my lips, laced with a hint of mockery. Ah, dear old father finally decides to make contact, huh? Did he pen a heartfelt letter or send a humble pigeon bearing his message? I shook my head knowingly, fully aware of my fathers propensity for silence in moments of desperation.

After a protracted, introspective journey that seemed to stretch into infinity for a relentless 45 minutes, we finally veered onto the winding path leading to our destination—a sanctuary nestled in solitude. The entrance, guarded by an eagle-eyed security contingent, rigorously scrutinized their vehicle before granting passage. As we proceeded, armed sentinels stationed at strategic intervals along the path cast an imposing shadow, their presence dripping with foreboding. Concealed within the depths of obscurity, more covert guardians lurked, eluding the untrained eye, but not my heightened senses, which felt their constant undercurrent of vigilance.

With purpose, I crossed the threshold of the grandiose mansion, greeted by none other than Sally, my fathers trusted housekeeper and the beloved wife of Raphael. Well, hello there, my handsome boy, Sally cooed, enfolding me in a tender embrace. Hello, Mama Sally. Where's he at? I inquired, returning her affectionate hug. Mama Sally had served as the unwavering pillar of the family for over fifteen years, filling the void left by my late mother. She cared for me with maternal devotion, tended to my father, managed the household, and gracefully handled her husband. She was an extraordinary woman, an unequivocal blessing in our lives, and I cherished her just as I did my own mother.

Upstairs in his sanctum, she responded with a knowing tsk, her eyes harboring secrets. Hes been relentless, still toiling away, despite the gunshot wound. She shook her head in disbelief, a sly grin playing at the corners of her lips, coaxing a deep, throaty chuckle from me. Stubborn as ever, I reflected, my steps echoing as I ascended the grand staircase towards my fathers chamber.

I reached the imposing bedroom, and with a measured tap on the door, I announced my presence. A heavy silence hung in the air, and, with a deep breath, I turned the ornate doorknob, revealing an astonishing absence of life within. Fury coursed through my veins, fierce and undeniable. The man had faced imminent danger and almost a loss of life, yet here he was, vanished into his work.

In determined strides, I ventured to the pinnacle of the landing, this time rapping upon the office door with a force I had not initially intended. Despite my burning frustration, I understood the unwritten rule – one does not breach my fathers inner sanctum without invitation. A lesson I learned as a youngster.