Chapter 2.✔

Skylars Perspective

With utmost care, I lift Sabines fragile form, gently peeling away her blood-soaked attire. The waters tender caress now cradles my dearest companion, offering solace in its warm embrace. Guiding Sabine into the cascading stream of the shower, Im privy to her soft moans and delicate hisses, as the lukewarm torrents playfully graze her sensitive skin. My own breath hitching, I cant help but watch as what was once crystal-clear water now runs crimson, gathering into a haunting puddle at her feet. I battle back the scalding tears welling up, for Sabines sake, knowing shed rather witness my unwavering resolve. Witnessing her anguish pierces my very heart; she is a genuinely kind spirit, deserving of a fate far gentler than this cruel hand has dealt her.

Gratefully, Sabines got family who've got her back through this whole mess. As for me, well, I'm as adrift as a ship without a rudder, no ties, no memories of a life outside of these walls. Who knows if there are folks out there still scouring the earth for a trace of me, or if they've given up, their hope long withered away after years of fruitless searching? Those are secrets buried in the depths of the unknown. But for now, I got to shove those gloomy musings aside, keeping my eye on the prize, and drown out any whispers of self-pity. My buddy, she's counting on me, and that's all that matters.

After tending to Sabine, draping her in one of my well-worn, oversize tees, I led her to my sanctuary, the bed where she could surrender to much-needed respite. A glass of water and a couple of ibuprofen were presented, swiftly consumed, her fortitude masking the agony that lay beneath.

Before departing, I couldnt resist glancing at the reflection that met my gaze in the mirror. Those hauntingly gray eyes, larger than life, appeared to scrutinize me in return. A momentary illusion flashed by – a man with the same smoky orbs. I brushed it aside, chalking it up to the strain of the night and my own fatigue. With a sigh, I brushed away the escapee tears, taking one last look at my dearest friend reclining in peaceful slumber, then quietly slipping out and securing the door behind me.

After collecting myself and summoning the steel in my spine, I make my entrance into the shadowed realm of the bar. In the low light, I spy Hound, a formidable figure on all fours, meticulously erasing the evidence of a tumultuous brawl that had raged right here not long ago. The wreckage on the floor serves as a grim testament to the turmoil that had once reigned, but for the patrons, its just another night in the trenches. At this moment, a surge of resentment courses through my veins, a potent brew of anger directed squarely at Hound. Its nigh impossible to shake the suspicion that his actions, especially his entanglement with Sabine, played a pivotal part in this tangled web of chaos.

I heave a deep, weary breath when I spot Skull, perched like a guardian angel at his usual haunt along the bar, his unwavering gaze tracing my every step. Ever since I found myself entangled within the tightly-knit world of the Sons of Death, Skull has remained a steadfast fixture, a sentinel of protection. The knowledge that I have my own protector in this perilous realm offers a peculiar solace. I reach into the fridge and extract a fresh brew for him, noticing hes nursed the same drink for well over an hour now. At this juncture, all I truly crave is to escape to my haven, yearning to obliterate the harrowing memories of this night.

After a grueling stint of tending to the bars demanding clientele for what felt like an eternity, my patience reached its breaking point. Josie and Victor, completely heedless of the emotional tempest brewing in my dear friends quarters, carried on with their ostentatious exhibition of affection, igniting my frustration to new heights. The weight of the situation left me yearning for the sweet release of the nights end. Just as I reached the final stretch of cleaning, rounding up the last of the empty glasses, Skull materialized from the shadows, sending my heart into a frantic dance. Without uttering a word, he took the tray from my hands and vanished into the depths of the kitchen, leaving me both relieved and curious.