Explanation Part 7

Lari took Callum back to his chamber and explained everything to him.

"Our scouts have been following The Ryde. We noticed Rayla." Lari explained and Callum jumped up. 

"What do you want with her?!" He asked eyes narrowed. "I won't let you touch her."

Lari 'stood' and gently pushed Callum back to his sitting position on the edge of the bed. "Let me explain." 

Callum nodded and listened as Lari spoke. 

"Long long ago-" 

"Wait wait wait is this going to be a cheesy story that ends with Happily Ever After?" Callum interrupted. Lari covered his mouth and started speaking again. 

"Long long ago, mermaids we're hunted for our tails and our magic. The people that hunted us were called Sirenă hunters or" Her Lari paused, shooting Callum a look. "Pirates." 

Callum inhaled sharply. He had told the king he was a pirate. He was a human. This was not a great combination. 

"When we saw Rayla... we thought that you had kidnapped her. She had been missing for a while now. Now we know she was on land. So we hired somebody. A pirate. Named Felix." 

Callum jumped up again. "That was you!? Me and Rayla nearly DIED!! What is wrong with you!?" His hands were fists and Callum was shaking. Horrible memories flashed through his head. Rayla being wrenched away from him. Him being dragged away from her while she slept, only to be tortured. And nearly killed. He remembered the feel of blood dripping down his head. The fuzziness. The wishing that they'd kill him so the pain would go away. 

Lari shook her head. "No Callum! We didn't know that would happen. There's so many pirates in the waters we didn't know he was bad. If we had known, we wouldn't have sent him. I swear." 

Callum sat back down, but farther away from the mermaid. 

Lari kept on. "When we saw Rayla and you together we thought that you had forced her to do something. But when our counts grabbed you, Rayla swam after you. We got more information from Felix and the rest is history."

Callum leaned back on his elbows, thinking. "So you know me and her are in love?" 

Lari smirked. "Yep." 

Pink appeared on Callum's cheek. "Seas above.." He muttered and Lari giggled.

"So when do I get to go back to Rayla?" Callum asked, changing the subject. Lari's giggles stopped. 

"Um well there's a bit of a problem." She said, suddenly finding great interest in the ceiling. 

Callum's eyes narrowed again. "What do you mean?" 

Lari bit her lip. "I may have started her mermaid test."