2 | prisoner

"Together, we could be unstoppable."

The sound of footsteps echoed in the darkness and the harsh feeling of ice-cold water splashing against her face woke Adora up. Her eyes flew open as she was met with another wave of water. The temperature bit at her bare skin followed by a shiver wracking her body. The air was crisp and the darkness surrounding her was one of the few signs that night had fallen.

Adora reached up to block the wave of water but heavy metal chains jerked her backward. Her back exposed from the cut in her dress crashed against the stone wall behind her. Water shot up her nose and prickled in her eyes. The Kyree princess was left gasping for air, sputtering in her damp clothes.

"Wake up, princess," Hunched over, Adora sputtered and coughed. Cold droplets traveled down her spine, slithering down her neck and nose before landing in front of her, at the feet of her captor.

There was a scuffling sound and then the dark figure lowered itself to where Adora was restained. Chilled fingers gripped her jaw and tilted her head up, water continuing to snake down her naked neck. Hunger-filled eyes drilled into hers and her jaw was jerked upwards.

"That's a good girl, open those pretty eyes for me." A pearly white smile flashed in the darkness. It turned her stomach into a churning mess and Adora failed to suppress another shiver. It wouldn't be long before her teeth started to chatter.

Dread filled her stomach as she realized that the nights in Kyree were never this cold. Her revelation could only mean one thing and the thought alone made bile rise in her throat.

She was no longer in Kyree.

After her encounter with the King, she'd been thrown into the back of a cart and knocked out cold. She'd woken up multiple times during the rocky ride but the blindfold tied around her eyes had prevented her from seeing anything at all. She'd tried to listen to the sound of the road, the way the cart jerked with every turn, and hoped to hear the sound of rushing water. The Synx river that ran through the Kyree lands was the sound she could use to locate herself but to her demise, she'd fallen unconscious due to lack of nourishment.

Jaw gripped tightly by a hand that could only be used for violence, Adora felt all hope slip away. In the distance, she could hear the faint roaring of the ocean, confirming her worst fears. She was indeed in the Zylan Kingdom.

Her uncle had truly sent her into the beast's den. He'd abandoned her.

The only hope Adora could muster up was the thought of Tyrus coming to save her. Her star-crossed love had made many irrational decisions in the name of their love so she could only hope he would find a way to sneak into the Zylan Kingdom. She would help him burn the Kingdom to the ground if it meant the two could be together again.

A sharp slap across her cheek brought Adora back to reality. The princess could dream all she wanted but Tyrus wouldn't be there to save her from the man with the iron grip. If it wasn't for the sliver of moonlight leaking into her cell, Adora wouldn't have been able to make out her captor's face. Unfortunately, the light was strong enough for her to capture his cruel smile, the small scars littering his face, and his concave nose. Just from the look in his eyes, Adora knew there was a monster hiding inside of him, disguised as a human. Sadism flickered in his eyes before his other hand came down to touch her neck.

"I see, His Majesty left quite a mark." 

Goosebumps formed on her skin as he continued to trace the red marks on her neck. The King's grip had been so strong, it had left the outline of his fingers prints on Adora's pale skin. Suddenly, his fingers closed around her neck and Adora was tugged forward. With a steel-like grip, he dragged her body farther away from the wall, and from the chains. In the moonlight, his lips curled into a smile as increased the distance between the wall and her body.