Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

As badly as Samantha wanted to be truly annoyed or angry over Zachary's bossiness at the docs', she couldn't manage it. She was filled with far too much happiness. Zachary was back. He wasn't going to be running around the country chasing a cold-blooded killer, and he had made it clear he wanted a future and a life with Samantha.

How could she possibly be mad at that turn of events?

And so, with a smile she couldn't seem to erase, Samantha followed along behind him down the street lost in her thought. She was pulled from those thoughts when Zachary suddenly stopped walking and glanced back at her.

"What's wrong?" she asked, glancing back as well, wondering if something was going on behind them.

Zachary held out his hand. "Why are you back there? Come walk with me."

That smile simply grew bigger upon her face as a blush rose on her cheeks. Samantha wasn't certain why she suddenly felt a bit shy with Zachary. She slid her palm into his and those calloused fingers circled her softer hand gently, their fingers entwining.

Never had Samantha felt more proud than she felt walking down the street hand in hand with Zachary Marston. She didn't care about the glances, the whispers, the gossip and rumors that swirled.

Samantha realized they were heading toward the lumberyard. She frowned. "What are we doing?"

"Like you said, you can't fix up a pile of ash."

"So, we're ordering lumber for a house?" That wasn't quite what she'd been hoping for when Zachary had pulled her out of the docs house. What had she been hoping for? Samantha glanced up at Zachary's face and trembled as she remembered how those firm lips had felt against her own and the way his passionate kiss had dominated her so completely. Samantha had always been a headstrong girl which had led to her being a headstrong woman but something about Zachary had her wanting to give all control over to him—in one area at least.

Zachary sighed. "Just come on."

Samantha found herself led through the gate of the lumber yard and Zachary approached a pot-belled man with wire rimmed spectacles, a blue velvet coat with tails and a black top hat. She nearly laughed at the absurdity of his appearance.

"Can I help you, sir and ma'am?" the man greeted jovially, his eyes falling momentarily to Zachary and Samantha's joined hands. Samantha gave a small tug in an attempt to pull her hand away, fully aware that this public display was inappropriate. Zachary, however, gave her hand a firm but gentle squeeze and held fast.

He cleared his throat. "I need to see about buying a house."

The man's face brightened as he smiled and held out his hands. "Of course. Of course. I have a catalogue of available homes right over here. We have some in stock and some that will need to be ordered but we can get you any home you want out of the book."

The man was still talking as he turned and led them toward a tent at the corner of the lumberyard. "Order a house from a book?" Samantha whispered to Zachary. "I've never heard of such a thing."

Zachary grunted. "You can order just about anything nowadays I reckon."

Stepping through the open tent flaps, Samantha realized the man had taken a seat at a desk. He pointed to the two chairs on the other side. "Please sir and ma'am, have a seat."