Chapter Thirty-Two

Chapter Thirty-Two

Sitting across the table from Timothy, hearing him speak about family and his beliefs concerning that topic had Eleanor's heart becoming much more tempted to simply open up and let the man in. He seemed so good. Away from that saloon, the alcohol, the cards, the crowd, and the brothel, she was seeing him in a different light. She had known that Timothy was a happy man with a good-nature and a smile that was infectious. What she hadn't known was the loyalty and simple goodness that the man possessed.

Even with the help the doctor was giving her, Eleanor knew her future was going to be a hard one if she were a single, unwed, former whore attempting to raise a child by herself. Eleanor hadn't thought that there was a man alive who could possibly see past those things and build a future with her but maybe.....?

And when Timothy smiled so warmly and told her that he could give her that acceptance and treatment she desired so badly, Eleanor's heart seemed to roll in her chest—so very tempted to open itself up to the man sitting across from her with such earnestness in his warm green eyes.

Then a flash of movement caught her eye. Eleanor looked up to see Judith Channing striding their way with her nose high and her shoulders tense. Eleanor winced. She had always hated that woman. Eleanor was not a fighter. She had always been one to simply walk away from conflict and hide herself. She was used to the judgments and the harshness—had been experiencing them since the age of fifteen. But Eleanor wanted a new life. A life where she could be something other than what she had been. Judith Channing was not someone who would make that easy.

"How dare you bring such filth into a family establishment! You should be ashamed of yourself, Doctor Reynolds. This whore needs to leave immediately!"

The diner fell silent. Every gaze was turning in their direction as folks were eager to see the drama and have something new to gossip about. Eleanor was about to get to her feet and leave quickly—she did not need the stress a scene would cause. Her health had been struggling since becoming pregnant and she had to protect her child.

Before she could get to her feet however, Timothy had leapt to his and whirled around to face the small, skinny, woman with judgment in her eyes and hatred in her heart. "You'll watch your mouth when you're speaking about Eleanor, Mrs. Channing. We were enjoying our supper, why don't you just go get to yours?"

She scoffed and looked him up and down. "I'll do no such thing. That is a whore, Timothy O'Neil, and as such she has no place dining here with good Christian families. Not that I'd count you among them. Your fondness for poker, drinking, whores, and Zachary Marston damned your soul a long time ago."

Eleanor wanted to leap to Timothy's defense but Doctor Reynold's laid his hand on her arm. "You need to stay calm," he whispered firmly for only her to hear. "Your health hasn't been well lately, and you could make it worse if you get too worked up."

"But that woman..."

"And women like her will always be around," Doctor Reynold's assured her. "You will always face judgement whether it's deserved or not. And so will he if he chooses to build a life with you. Let's see how Timothy handles this."

Eleanor could tell the doctor that he was insane to think that she was thinking of building a life with Timothy. She wasn't. Was she? Who was she kidding? He was a good, kind, loyal, and caring man. Any woman would be lucky to have him at her side. But Eleanor didn't want him to suffer to be with her—she wasn't worth that. Surely, he would realize it and walk away.