Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

Zachary was confused. Samantha had been leading him in random directions for over an hour. Not a word had been spoken between them. What was going on in that woman's mind? He had been so damn sure she would be terrified of him—so sure that she would realize she deserved better than a man with his past—but instead she had readied both their horses and angrily shoved Blaze's reins in his hands and demanded he ride with her before taking off and giving him no choice but to follow her.

Zachary had a feeling that was simply his life now. No matter where that woman led him, his heart was going to leave him no other choice but to follow her.

He regretted his actions in the saloon. Zachary normally had fairly good control of his temper and actions but learning that Thomas had cornered Samantha in that alley had filled him with protective rage. And then to hear that because Thomas had thought Zachary was out of town, he planned to get his hands on Samantha and put her back in that brothel.... that had been the last straw.

Thomas had placed too many bruises on that woman's pale skin. Had nearly caused her to be violated. Had done everything in his power to force her to work for him as a whore. Thomas had proven he was a threat to Samantha's safety—a threat to her life. Zachary would do anything to protect that woman. But he was damned glad that Timothy had stopped him from slitting the man's throat. If Timothy hadn't been there, Zachary would have been hanged for murder and any future he'd been hoping to build with Samantha would have been gone.

It might still be gone. Samantha had acted damn angry with him. Maybe this ride was her way of telling him goodbye? Zachary's hands were shaking as he folded them on his saddle horn.

"Sam? Where are we going?"

Without a word, Samantha pulled up on Athena's reins, bringing the mare to a stop. Zachary mirrored her movement, though he stayed behind her and simply studied her closely. The afternoon sun was shimmering off her wild red curls as she sat tall and proud in that saddle.

Zachary's heart yearned to hold her. His body yearned to feel her. His hands yearned to touch her. His lips yearned to taste her. Damn, that woman made him ache.

"I have no idea where we're going," her gentle voice finally responded, filling the quiet which had moments ago been filled only with the sounds of birds and the breeze. "I've been lost and simply wandering since shortly after we left town."

Zachary saw some small trees and shrubs in the distance. "We could head over there and rest in the shade a while. If you want to that is."

Without saying another word or looking his way, Samantha began to guide Athena toward their new destination. Zachary sighed and followed her. He was angry with himself. Angry that he had ruined such a perfect day. A day where Samantha had been talking with him about a future and he had been free to hold her hand, caress her face, kiss her lips...

When they reached the shade, Samantha slid from Athena's back and walked to the tallest of the small trees. She leaned her back against the rough bark and simply stood there, crossing her arms around herself in a gesture he had come to recognize. It was something she did whenever she was unsure or afraid. Maybe he had been right when he'd looked in her eyes in that saloon. Maybe she was afraid of him.

Zachary slowly dismounted Blaze and simply stood beside the gelding, wondering what he was supposed to say or do. "Sam....?"

"Is there a reason I had to force your hand to come out here with me?"