Chapter IV: Contract

Ian Malcolm

    Within a couple of days all information regarding both islands was transferred and in the names of the Island survivors and soon it was announced within the paper the passing of John Hammond. His funeral was held privately attended only by his family and not long after a memorial went up in his memory, it was a large statue of him with his infamous cane with the amber top. Below the statue was a plaque with the words.

"Creation is an act of sheer will. Next time it'll be flawless."

     No one in the Malcolm/Harding household spoke much of John's passing, they were busy with the legal actions of owning a Island that they were able to distract themselves for quite some time. Alan and Ellie called each other several times over the weeks all four of them discussing how to run an island and how to deal with the responsibilities it possessed and most importantly what to do about the dinosaur project.

     "I don't know..." I  had to admit I sounded frazzled as I spoke and Sarah had noticed resulting her eying me closely before interjecting.

     "I think what my husband is saying is that... you're sure that the dinosaurs are gone?" she said putting it simply, the lawyer nodded his head before responding.

     "Yes, all dinosaurs are deceased we cleansed the islands of their presence the government of which the islands fall under wasn't comfortable with the thought of dinosaurs being so close to people unsupervised." Mr. Dane possessed a cocky attitude that he was adamant on keeping at all times, causing me great annoyance while he was in my presence.

      "The last time I was told the dinosaurs were dead I found out they were never killed even after it was ordered to be done. Don't believe me? ask Dr. Grant I'm sure he can fill you in on all that happened on Isla Nublar" Mr. Dane's forced smile faltered then ceased.

    "It's unknown why the order was put through, but I assure you both Islands are clear of any and all dinosaurs." it was quiet for a moment before he continued talking greatly desiring to change the direction of the topic. "since it's been established that all dinosaurs have been dealt with by your contract it's required that you visit the island..."

     "You want us to return?" asked Sarah before I could

     "Yes your contract requires you to visit so you may establish your plans for the island and retrieve the objects that are specified in your name."

    "I don't want to go back, I never want to go back" responded Sarah roughly.

    "I understand what you went through on the island Sarah..."

    "No you don't understand. You weren't there, you have no idea! and it's Doctor Harding" snapped Sarah with the memories of nearly falling to her death, being eaten on more then one occasion, all the running and screaming and death.

     Dane opened his mouth but did nothing for he simply didn't have a response because she was right, he had no idea what it was like. "I..." he paused and cleared his throat "I'm sorry for the offense, but by law of this contract you will need to visit the island... at least once." Dane handed over a beige folder holding the contract sliding it across the desk.

     I picked it up but didn't open it. Glancing over at Sarah who's face had calmed and looked weary he stood from his chair to leave "Thank you, I'm sure we'll be in touch" and with that we  left the lawyers office.

     Alan Grant

     Alan Grant

    "They want us to go back?!" exclaimed Ellie "I can't do that Alan, I can't do that" she paced about the floor of her kitchen, her son in the other room watching his show.

     "I know Ellie" I responded "I know, but we have no choice. You know how much I hate lawyers and this, but by the contract we have no choice" a beige folder containing the contract of the island as well as the the sum of money that was donated towards the dig site rested on the kitchen table.

     "Why would he require us to go back?! he was there wasn't he? doesn't he remember the hell of it?" Ellie placed a hand on her hip and the other in her hair.

     "They said the dinosaurs are...dead" he responded as opened the folder for the third time for the day reading the lawyer jargon printed on the page.

     "Like I'll believe that, I didn't forget the fact there was a spinosaurus on the island trying to eat you after they already claimed the dinosaur issue "taken care of" I don't want to go back" Ellie plopped down into one of the kitchen chairs.

     They sat there in silence their brains thinking through the situation of the matter, I was trying to think of a way to get away with that not going a way to bypass that requirement.

    "It doesn't require us to be there for a certain amount of time..." I started saying as I was reading "perhaps we can just land, claim that as our time on the island and leave without having to take a step on it?" I finished looking at Ellie who I could tell was thinking it through.

     "Yes... yes that might work..." once more Ellie got up but this time she made her way to her kitchen phone.

     "What are you doing?"

     "Calling Ian. I want to know if he has to go with us or if this is something personal" Ellie called up the number it rang a couple times before I heard a response.

     "This is Sarah Harding"

     "Hey Sarah, this is Ellie Sattler we met the other day outside of Hammond's?" she asked hoping it would remind Sarah.

    "Hi Ellie"

     "Hey, we have been going over our contract for the island John left us... does yours..." Ellie paused a moment thinking through her words before proceeding, but Sarah continued the question.

     "Did my contract require me and Ian to go to the island? yes it did, I'm assuming yours did too?" stated Sarah

     "Yes it did." spoke Ellie with the utmost annoyance in her voice "I never wanted to go back to that place"

     "Me either"

     "Would you and Ian like to come over sometime? we can sit down and try to figure out a way to get out of this, Alan already has an idea maybe you'd like to try it with us?" asked Ellie, there as pause which signaled to me that Sarah was thinking.

     "Yes. We'd love too, I would love to get out of going back" Sarah responded her voice filled with mild excitement as though she had just processed she might not need to go back to the island.

     "All right, I'll figure out a date and call you again with the date and address." responded Ellie with relieve as she and Sarah said goodbye then turned to me, "We're gonna need a plan, on how to get out of this plus, a plan in case this goes south like last time..."

Ok this didn't get published as soon as I hoped, but it's all done now and I'm planning out the next chapter. And fingers crossed that it's finished faster.