guilty conscience

"Let me help, Lin." Kya murmured, pulling the Earthbender's uniform off of her and guiding her into bed.

They had just gotten back from the hospital. After a long day of busting triads, Lin had decided along with her crew to do one more bust before clock out. From what the Waterbender heard practically everything went wrong after that.

She thanked the spirits Lin came out with nothing more than a couple scratches and a few broken ribs. A pang of guilt coursed through her when she remembered how badly some of the other officers were injured and even...

"Do you wanna talk about it?" she whispered, as she felt a damp puddle on her shoulder appear.

"No." the officer sighed, turning away so that Kya wouldn't see her crying.

Lin felt a kiss to her bare shoulder that made it difficult for her tense body to remain as such. leaning into Kya's touch seemed to be the only thing that felt okay or right in the whole world.

"That's okay. I'll be right here if you need anything."

Silence filled the air, Kya rubbed circles into the Earthbender's back without question. Knowing that was one of the things that soothed her the most, after all that she went through that day she deserved that at least. Deserved to feel safe and loved in her own house, Kya would have done anything to make that her reality.

"Could you set my alarm." Lin sighed, "Please?"

"You won't need it. I had the guys at the station give you a couple days off." she whispered.

"What?!" she whispered, turning around to look at Kya in the face. "Why would you do that? Now I have to call them and tell them I'm coming in tomorrow." Lin grumbled.

Her attempts to get up were quickly met with a shooting pain in her side. Cautiously, she laid back down onto the bed. Feeling utterly defeated and looking to her wife for help.

"Can you call them?" Lin pleaded.

Just as she thought she would, Kya refused. The Earthbender wasn't really sure why this was so important to her, she just didn't want to sit at home all day reflecting on what happened. Work was her distraction and spirits, did she need to be distracted right now.

Besides it didn't feel right taking a break from work. Not when there were people dead, and a new ongoing investigation with no leads or suspects. She had to do something, needed to help or at the very least offer up something in return for their sacrifices.

"Why not?" she whined once again, no longer caring about how emotionally charged she sounded. She was tired, overwhelmed, and it felt like everything was falling apart.

"I'm not punishing you baby." Kya murmured, pulling her in closer by the waist. "You have broken ribs, you just went through a traumatic event. You need a few days to recuperate. Just a few okay? I promise."

"They had kids." Lin whimpered. "They all had kids, all three of them." she repeated again and again as if it were some sort of sick mantra.

Kya let her cry on her shoulder, ramble on about how guilty she felt, how she thought of those boys as her own children until she eventually gave into sleep. Peaceful and quiet steady breathing for the first time since they walked in the door. The Waterbender continued to rub her back until she, too, fell asleep.

The night was anything but peaceful, Lin awoke with nightmare after nightmare either drenched in sweat tears or a mixture of both. It was late, maybe two or three in the morning when Kya suggested cactus juice to help her calm down after more than a couple onslaughts of constant night terrors.