Belong

Belonging.

Something Kya never truly felt. Being the middle child in her household. Tenzin was the youngest, the baby, and the second born Airbender im an entire generation. So he got all their father's attention. For awhile the fact that she wasn't always close with her father didn't bother her. He was always there when it really mattered.

Her mother never understood her, even though she loved her with pride. When she left to travel the world she was told she'd never make a living like that. But Kya really just needed to be free. To see and explore all the things she never had the bravery to go through with.

When she finally came back her family was ripped in two. Her father was sick, her mother was in pieces, and she was left to clean up the mess. Alone, in the South Pole where they had relocated to give the Avatar the best healers possible. Helping Katara was exhausting. She wouldn't have changed it for the world, but the long nights taking her mothers shifts at the hospital and tending to her afterwards while taking care of the house with no support was excruciating.

When she called Tenzin he said that they were busy, he was taking care of Aang's normal responsibilities around Republic City. Calling Bumi didn't help either, his position as the new commanding officer for the United Forces meant he couldn't leave his station on such short notice. Alone, she was alone for years.

One night she took a home call. To a soon-to-be mother and father's house. On the day of the harshest and coldest blizzard in years she went into labor. Kya spent the whole night helping the young woman through her delivery process. Cleaning the baby off and checking to make sure the little girl was healthy. Something seemed familiar about her, a sort of deja vu that she ignored at the time.

She disregarded the feeling. She had delivered babies hundreds of times before, it was probably nothing more than emotional hormones. She handed the baby to the over ecstatic parents, signed a few forms and left.

"Her name is Korra." She heard them announce to a couple family members in the room before she quietly trudged out. Walking to her mother's house a couple houses over from theirs.

When she returned home she walked in on the most horrifying scene of her life, her father was gone. It took her five years to put two and two together. She didn't tell anyone. Not even Lin.

But why would she? She messed that up years ago when she first left. The argument that was pursued was horrible. Lin and Tenzin had just broken up, Su had left the Metal Bender with a scar across her face. They spent hours screaming back and forth at each other, throwing clothes and playing tug-of-war with suitcases and other necessities that Kya needed.

Of course she wanted to stay. She wanted to jump into Lin's arms and never let go. But Lin wanted Tenzin, she was heartbroken because of Tenzin. She couldn't stay and watch her pine over her brother, not when Lin was the one she wanted.

Maybe if she said something things would be different, but she never would have thought Lin felt the same. It wasn't something she considered.

When she returned to Republic City she always meant to talk to Lin. There was the occasional small talk, mostly about work but other than that their conversation was guarded. Closed off. Getting anywhere with either of them was impossible. Katara, Tenzin, Pema even; they all tried to figure out what happened between them over the years.

Everyone had forgiven Kya for leaving, due to the abruptness of her travels she left alot of people. But Lin held the grudge for reasons she never fully realized. Not during the fight against Unalaaq when she finally racked up the courage to try to talk to Lin after Korra defeated Vaatu.

Lin told her to go away. So she left her alone.

It's what she wanted.

Right?

They didn't talk for a long time after that. Not until Kya woke up in a healing tent after fighting off Ming-Hua. Lin was next to her, holding her hand for the first time in twenty five years.

"Are you okay?" She asked after noticing Kya was conscious.

Kya gave her a simple nod. Unable to put trust into her voice, she couldn't mess this up again.

Lin had been crying. Face red and puffy, but she never cried.

"You scared me. Be more careful. I have to go." She said again, squeezing Kya's hand and promptly leaving.

Wait. She wanted to yell. Anything to get Lin to just sit beside her and talk to her. To kiss her, to choose her even if it was just this once

But she didn't. Later that day she found out Lin almost died, she would have if not for Su. A couple nights later they had the second biggest argument of their entire friendship. Part of her didn't understand why Lin would get so upset when she risked her life, but didn't hesitate to do it herself?

Eventually their anger died down and Kya spent the night on the couch. Lin passed out beside her. In the morning she was gone, and Kya had to go help Tenzin and Jinora prepare for Jinora's ceremony.

The day of the celebration came fast. The ceremony even more so and eventually it was night time. Korra had just been taken back to the island by Asami to get some rest, leaving the adults to talk amongst themselves. Everyone was so worried, especially when Korra suggested going back to the South, the place she practically ran away from less than three years ago.

When Tenzin mentioned Kya would be joining them she glanced at Lin. She got up and walked away, like it was nothing. Maybe to her it was just that. Nothing.

To Lin, Kya was a friend at most. Nothing more, nothing less. Nonetheless something, likely the wine, told her to follow the Metal Bender.

Her hand ghosted the back of her shoulder as she stood behind her under the pergola. Unsure of whether she should seek this out or not, but what did she have to lose?

"What's wrong?" Kya whispered.

"You're leaving. Were you even going to say anything? You were just gonna leave again?" Lin growled, fingernails digging into the hardwood.

"It's three weeks. Didn't think you cared that much."

"Of course I do." Lin spat out.

"We'll you've spent the better part of almost two years ignoring me."

"Yeah, and it's never really seemed to work, has it?"

"What is that supposed to mean?" Kya huffed.

"It means I always cared. I never stopped caring about you." Lin admitted, dragging her fingertips across Kya's arm that rested on the metal railing.

Kya was about to speak when Asami came running outside, calling her name. Korra needed another healing session. Emergent. Once again she would have to keep Lin waiting.

"I'm sorry, Lin. I'll write to you I promise."

"Just go. Go take care of her." Lin responded.

So she left. She wrote notes, three to Lin. Recieving three back in return. Good notes, like Lin actually took time out of her day to write to Kya. Three weeks went by in the blink of an eye but Korra needed more time.

She worked out a schedule with the healers, she'd travel back and forth from Republic City. To and from Lin. So that began the three year roundabout from the city to her home. Back and forth.

Most of her days in the city were suddenly spent with Lin, the officer had racked up a substantial amount of vacation days during her years as chief. Using them all on Kya whenever she visited. Lunch dates, coffee runs, and everything Kya wished had happened sooner.

One night she couldn't stop herself. She kissed her. And Lin kissed back. They held each other closer, under the moonlight in Republic City's nicest park. And for the first time in her whole life Kya thought she might have a place where she belonged after all.