i love you so much it hurts

"You're an idiot."

Lin winced as the antiseptic solution Kya applied to the cut on her side cleaned the wound. Leaving a stinging pain in it's wake. Again she dipped the washcloth and applied more of the disinfectant to the injury, eliciting a sharp gasp from the shorter woman.

"Sorry." Kya whispered. "But dammit Lin you've got to stop doing things like this."

These incidents weren't new, it was a common occurrence for Lin to show up after a long shift. Injured and in need of a healing session from Kya. But this time, Lin had barely made it to the door without passing out. When the Waterbender answered the door she opened it to find her girlfriend slouched over with a visible patch of blood on her hands and uniform.

"I know." Lin whispered.

"No, you've made it clear that you don't know!" Kya lectured, while wrapping her stomach with bindings to keep pressure on the wound. "You risk your life to keep this city safe, hurt yourself in the process, and then you can't even act responsibly enough to let your co-workers call an ambulance?"

"I'm sorry."

"But who are you sorry for? For me? I don't want you to say sorry to me." Kya pleaded. "You're lucky Lin, this was a bad wound. One of these days this luck is going to run out and I'm gonna lose you."

"Kya, I know I do stupid things but I'm not going anywhere."

Lin groaned as Kya helped her off the chair and towards their room. She forced her upper body to move along with her feet in an attempt to make it look like she wasn't in pain. Instead, it created a limp that tore Kya up inside.

"You're taking the week off. And you're on office duty until further notice."

"I thought I could do it myself. It wasn't supposed to go that badly." Lin whispered, her voice faltering.

Kya wrapped the two of them up in their heavy comforter and let the Earthbender crawl into her arms. "Don't cry." she whispered. "You're okay."

"But you're right. It was stupid, I could have died."

"I'm always right." Kya teased, wiping her tears away and kissing her cheek. "I know you didn't mean to scare me, or get hurt. But you need to take better care of yourself."

Lin nodded and looked away, she always did that when she was upset or ashamed of herself or others. "Look at me." Kya demanded.

The Earthbender obeyed and reluctantly lifted her head up to face her.

"I love you. I didn't plan on it, but it happened. I love you so much it hurts. It hurts to see you doing this to yourself. Especially when you do it so easily. You deserve to be safe. You deserve to be healthy and loved."

"I love you." Lin whispered.

"I love you too. You're still on desk duty."

Desk duty never sounded this appealing, Lin thought to herself as she nodded off in Kya's embrace.