Chapter 5 - Not Just Any Guy

Hey guys I'm sooo sorry for taking so long to update, and I hope this chapter makes up for it

Chapter 5

Maya

And that’s what I did, I had a sweet dream, though I can’t remember it, it was nice.

-At school-

“Are you going to help me then?” asked Lily, handing me a bunch of flyers.

“Er, yeah sure, what is it again?” I questioned looking down at the sheet which was filled with writing and flowers.

“It’s a poster for the spring festival; it’s going to be so much fun!” she exclaims excited.

Whenever there is a festival Lily always helps, every year that I’ve known her, she says it’s fun but it looks like a lot of work to me.

“You have to come,” she orders scrunching a piece in my pocket, and then taking off.

I smile and begin to pin the flyers up, and pass them to the people who pass. I had to thank Jake again, I waited to see him all morning, but he didn’t show. I looked into the distance and remembered me and Jake, could this mean something? My train of thoughts were interrupted.

“Helping Lily again? What this?” Asked Mason taking a sheet off of me and studying it. He paused, “Well I have to go see you in class.” He stated quickly and left.

“Wait. Mason!” I sighed he had already walked off. Weird.

“Maya! Wait up!” Jules approached me with a ton of flyers in her hand, “Lily got you to help to?” I nodded, “Well,” she looked at me sceptically. Confused I stare at her. She sighed.

“You know I’m not good at this guessing game!” I answer smiling.

“Who are you going with? Hasn’t anyone asked you?” Ashamed I shook my head, Jules was smart and pretty someone had definitely asked her, “Josh Clarke asked me!” she said excited pinning up more flyers. Josh Clarke was a good looking sporty guy, which was most girls, including Jules’s, type.

“I’m happy for you,” I tried to say enthusiastically.

“Aw, it’s okay someone will ask you, don’t worry,” she smiled while patting me on the back.

The bell rang me and Jules looked at each other trying to remember what we had.

“English!” we said simultaneously and laughed making our way towards lesson.

For English we had sat in rows, I was sitting in the middle row, Mason sitting diagonally in front of me, Jules sitting next to Mason so in front, and Lily sat next to me. Later when the teacher arrived he started giving an explanation on Shakespeare’s ‘A Midsummers Night Dream’ but I couldn’t concentrate, I was constantly being distracted by Mason, who kept glancing back at me worried. I felt my palms dampen, and my pulse quicken; I was worried, what had happened? Had I done something wrong? Was something wrong with him? Question has swarmed my head, I was scared.

After a long double lesson the bell rang, I slowly packed my things afraid, I was about to get up when I was bombarded by Jules and Josh Clarke.

“Hey Jules, Josh,” I said focused on Mason.

“Hey, so, yeah we’re going together!” said Jules enthusiastically pointing to Josh as he laughed.

“Are you? You’re so lucky Jules!” Joined in Lily.

“I know right,” Jules exclaimed while Josh smiled, I looked at them encouragingly.

There was a screech on the floor from a chair, Mason had gotten out of his seat and made his way towards me, accidently lightly pushing Lily to the side. He looked at me and paused.

“Maya,” Mason began, “If you’d like, could the two of us go to the spring festival together? Think about it,” He ends, walking about of the classroom leaving me speechless.

Staring up at where he once was, my friends watched me. I looked at Lily then Jules but it seemed as if both were trying to avoid my eyes. I had a headache and my mind was filled with new questions.

-At Home-

I hadn’t gone home with Mason that day; it was the first time in a very long time. It was as if the world wasn’t balanced anymore. I lay down on my bed and looked up at the ceiling. Mason was a friend who had stood beside me and protected me. One who hasn’t left me, for anyone, one who always put me first, would it actually be okay if I were to go out with him? As more than just friends? I was confused and needed help. I leaned over my bed reaching towards my desk, and started to dial.

“Hello?” Answered Jules.

“Hey it’s me, are you free to come over, like now?” I asked glancing at my clock which read 6:14pm.

“Sure, I’ll be there in a bit.” She hung up.

I put my phone back on my desk and jumped off of my bed and walked to the mirror, a skinny pale girl with chocolate coloured hair that was quite long and colourful eyes stared back at me for a while, was I interesting? Pretty? I must be considering Mason, The Amazing Mason, who was smart, athletic and perfect in so many ways, was asking me. I paused, and laughed barbaric thought had taken over me, I wasn’t interesting and I definitely wasn’t pretty. I heard a small knock at my door. Jules silently opened the door and peaked through.

“Hey, is everything okay?” she asked concern filling her eyes.

“No, yes? I don’t know,” I replied helplessly as she made her way towards my bed and sat down.

“It’s Mason” She stated, I nodded, “Look Maya, you feel good when you’re around him right?” I nodded again, “But you’re his best friend, and you’re worried?”

“Yes Jules, he’s not just any guy, I don’t know everything was fine, I never thought that way of him, at least I never thought I did, and I didn’t ever think he did, so why-,” I hesitated, “Jules what do I do?” I pleaded.

A smirk had crawled on her face; I watched her confused and angry I wasn’t laughing and this wasn’t a funny situation.

“Maya, you are nervous, you want everything to be fine, you care, so why don’t you give it a chance, the feelings might just be hidden underneath everything and this might be the thing that lets it all out,” she smiled sweetly, she was right.

I returned the smile and nodded.

-Next day-

Glancing at my phone I took deep breaths, I’m doing this now, I looked up to see Mason making his way towards me, he looked away as our eyes met scratching the back of his head. I plastered a smile on my face.

“Hey Maso-” I began.

“Look Maya, I don’t know what happened just forget it, it’s okay, I was being stupid,” he started rushing through.

“Yes,” I said in a slightly raised voice, and looked at him, his lost hazel eyes stared in confusion. “Yes I will go to the Spring festival with you,” I smiled, feeling happy.

A huge grin had appeared on Masons face, as he embraced me in a tight hug.