Chapter 3 - Twinge of Sadness

Maya

‘Not a couple!’ I remarked in my head. Why was I so tense? I feel as if I can’t relax. This guy, I’ve seen him before, I just don’t know where. I tried to relax by leaning back and closing my eyes. I would have been perfect if I didn’t know he was there. I heard Jakes pen stop, as he dropped, and leant back we were properly next to each other now. I felt myself warm up as I tensed up more than I was before. I must’ve been going red by now right? And then I felt it, a pair of eyes on me, it was his, and as much as I wanted to resist, I wanted to look as well. I slowly looked up, expecting normal blue eyes, but then seeing the ocean. My eyes were locked with his, I would usually look away but this time, I didn’t want to. His eyes were twinged with sadness, I was scared, I didn’t know what to do, or where to look

RING!

The bell rang and out eyes tore apart. I quickly looked down to collect my stuff, and as I looked back up he was gone. I searched around for him, but he was nowhere to be seen. Lily and I left class, with the thought of his ocean blue eyes.

“So, how’s your new partner?” Lily asked curiously.

“Err, he’s fine?” I answered a bit confused as to what I should say

“Idiot! I meant how your time was sitting next to him,” she chuckled

“I don’t know, what do you expect it to be like?”

“Oh God, just be quiet and keep walking.”

We soon met up with a few of our other friends Mason and Jules

“Hey Maya how was class?” Mason eagerly grinned

“Hello Mason, it was… interesting, and yours?” I answered

“I’m tired. Honestly fell asleep through both periods,” he smiled, as I giggled and patted his head.

“Oh Lord, did you say interesting!” interrupted Lily

“What do you mean?” Mason asked with a confused look on his face.

I shot her a death glare, warning her to keep quiet, for some reason I didn’t want Mason to know how I felt, or what happened today with the new guy. I had no reason to it, I just didn’t want it.

“Oh nothing, she’s talking gibberish again. Guess what, I remembered my kit isn’t that amazing?” I quickly tried to change the subject.

“Really? That’s great, we can go to lesson now,” Mason exclaimed with pleasure.

I had always forgotten my pe kit, and out of niceness Mason pretended he forgot his, just to sit out of lesson with me. He was a good guy! Lily and Jules were in a lower set so she couldn’t sit out with me.

Mason and I were so into our conversation that we didn’t realise Lily and Jules had already gone to lesson. After realising we walked to our lesson. We both parted to get changed, and met up in the gym. We started lesson the same, as always, started with running around the gym in pairs, and obviously me and Mason were partners, we started running around, not cutting any corners as we loved to run. After the whole class had come, and started running Coach had stopped us.

“We are going to do some pair exercises this lesson, all we have to do is achieve all challenges, which include jumping, push-ups press up, running, all sorts,” coach smirked “and if you fail you have to start over, oh, and this is our new student Jake Night.”

That’s nice, and easy, it’ll be fu-… what? Did she just say Jake Night? You have got to be kidding, I looked up, to see him looking at me then quickly looking away.

“We have an odd number of people in our class so Jake will have to pair up, with someone to become a three, know anyone Jake?” Coach asked Jake, with curiosity.

Jake pointed at me “Maya.” He quickly exclaimed.

No way. I thought to myself, this is going to get in the way of mines, and Mason perfect record.

“You know this guy?” Mason asked with interest. I closed my eyes and looked down searching for strength I looked up again.

“I sat next to him in first class.” I said with regret

“Okay, that’s fine. Come here.” He said beckoning Jake, “I'm Mason, Mayas partner and best friend.” He said with pride. I lightly hit Mason on the shoulder, and smiled. “We should get started.”

We lined up as we waited for our turn, pe lesson are going to be awkward. It was Mason turn, we stood by the side and timed his, and he did all activities in 2 minutes and 48.3 second, as usual, he got the fastest in the class, I got 2 minutes and 51.7 seconds, I could never beat Mason no matter how sporty I was. And now was Jakes turn, he didn’t say anything, maybe because he wasn’t familiar with any of us. I stared at him; the way he jumped was so elegant, the way he climbed so graceful, he did everything so sophisticatedly. I blinked a couple of times. He came back, and Mason froze.

“He did it in, two minutes and forty… forty seven seconds.” Mason said with a twinge of sadness in his voice.

“That’s, that’s amazing, even though it was just one second, no on beats Mason. Well done” I said to Jake astonished, he smiled while everyone cheered for him.

“Thank you,” he said in a sweet voice.

The bell rang as Jake began to walk to the changing room, with a crowd still surrounding him. I looked ahead to see Mason already entering it. Oh Mason. I quickly changed as I waited for Mason outside. It was lunch so we started walking around the playground.

“You alright?” I asked Mason referring to Jake getting higher?

“Yeah, of course, come one Maya, how old do you think I am? It’s just pe,” Mason said with a reassuring smile, but I have known Mason for too long and could tell that the smile was a fake. I smiled back at him, with concern. This is going to be a hard day.

Mason

She knew it was fake, she knows everything about me. Even if it was pe, it still meant a lot, it meant I didn’t have the best grades in the class, but most importantly it meant I couldn’t impress Maya anymore. There was another guy now, she wouldn’t be interested in me, and my chances are gone.

“That doesn’t mean you’re childish, come on,” Maya said with bluntness. It kind of did I thought to myself, as I looked down, and carried on walking.

“Hey,” Maya called out to me, I met her amazing multi coloured eyes, which I could stare at forever, “You’re still the best in my eyes,” she said in a sweet voice, as she ruffled my hair giggling. I love it when she does that, and with that I smiled, and was happy again.