Chapter 1 - The Devil in The Red Devil Bar

The building filled with music and drunk dancers made my heart thumping loudly with the beats. I could feel the vibration reaching my skin. The crowd had gathered around its entrance to reach inside as if they were ants scattered around sweets except it was booze and hookups they were after.

I took out my phone and tried to call my best friend, Emily, who was also my colleague from my office.

The rings went to voicemail instead. 

She was late...

I had been waiting for her for at least one hour and twenty-seven minutes. Now my feet hurt as I was not accustomed to heels. Yes, I did like heels but as I was fairly tall, I would look like a bamboo tree in those so, most of the time, I wore flats.

I released a breath. I never liked to wait but for my friend, I could at least do that. 

Taking my phone out, I searched through the contacts in my phone book to reach my other friends, and I reminded myself, other than Emily, I had no one. I sighed. 

Yes, if you are thinking, I am that lonely person without anyone else besides me, you are absolutely right. I had been into studies throughout my school and college and made sure to acquire a good score so I can lead a good, sophisticated life and stay away from melodramatic family dramas.

My fingers stopped at Fred. There was a little ache in my heart. Yesterday, we had a fight and I didn't call him as for the past few days, he had been avoiding me like a Plague. Whenever I called, he rejected and whenever I messaged him, he didn't even reply. That was weird since he liked to stick to his phone all the time even when he went to his office or bathroom. 

He had always complained I was a bit of a workaholic. Well, I was in a way however, if I wasn't, I wouldn't have a roof nor would I have the plates full of food. I had struggled to reach where I was now, but he had always complained. 

My thumb lingered on his name for a moment as my thought lingered in my mind. Should I call him or not? Well, I had always been the first to call him and maybe, Fred was right I needed to give him time. 

Being a secretary had a lot of responsibilities. But for the past week, I had a project to complete.

I released another sigh as today was the worst because from my laptop the important documents had vanished, mysteriously if I may add. It was the project I had been doing and I had even gotten a warning from my boss that if I won't be able to submit it by Monday, I may take my leave. That also meant the apartment I had been living in for the past year, I would have to say goodbye to. That also meant, forget about the mango smoothie I bought everyday.

I called again and the phone connected. However, there was no 'Hello' instead moans and the sacred word that starts with 'F' and ends with 'K', came. It was a female whose moans were coming and I thought Emily was having her pleasure.

Great! At least she could have told me if she were going to ditch me. And here I thought, today was Cheer-Carson-day!

"Hello?" I asked.

"Shit!" Came as an answer from a male voice and the call disconnected immediately.

As I saw the screen, my mind went numb. 

It wasn't Emily's number, instead it was Fred. My belly tied into a knot.

I called again. Was he...

No, he could never do that. But my heartbeat increased as he rejected my call. 

My phone vibrated and it was a message from Emily.