Chapter 8 - The Devil is naughty

"I am amused." Callahan said as he drove us back to my apartment. His hands stayed on the sheer wheel as I narrowed my gaze down at him.

"Why did you do it?" I ask.

He glanced at me and asked back, "Why did I do what?"

"You made them notice me on purpose, didn't you?" I asked with gritted teeth as a grin crawled up on his face.

"What if I say yes?"

"Why?" I asked again now frustrated as I didn't want to be recognised.

He steered the wheel and said while his eyes stayed on the road, "It was fun. In fact, I thought of coming back to you after a while but Devis seemed to be in a hurry to get you drunk."

I crossed my hands above my chest and asked, "So, had he really added something to my drink?"

"Yes," he answered as his jaw muscles clenched, "He added a pill which would have made you go wobbly and more drunk so you forget everything and he could complete his task."

Damn! Davis was such a jerk.

I had to make sure I stayed far away from him while in the office.

"Yeah, do that. It will be better for you." He said and I snapped my head at him.

"Don't read my thoughts!" I growled as he smiled again and we arrived at my building.

I opened the door as soon as his car stopped and made my way to the lift. Callahan followed me from behind as I entered the lift and blocked his way.

"Why are you coming?" I asked.

"Why not?" Callahan seemed to be excited and it was the cue for me that something wasn't right. Was he planning something again?

"No. This time I didn't plan anything." He again read my thoughts and even though it pissed me off, my mind wondered what he meant by this time?

As I indulged myself in thinking, he quickly got into the lift and before I could stop the doors from closing, the lift moved.

We reached my apartment and I got my keys to open the door, however, it was already open. My mind went numb. Why was my apartment open? Did I forget to close it?

No. I would never be so careless. I looked behind at Callahan who shrugged but his excitement never left his eyes which made me frightened more.

I gulped and with cold hands, I opened the door and peeked inside. The lights were off and darkness dominated every corner of the room. My hands managed to reach the lights as I switched it on and found Fred was sitting on the couch looking at me, his eyes were bloodshot.

"What are you doing here?" I growled as he invaded my house. Then I recalled I had given him a spare key. Looked like I needed to change my locks.

His eyes looked at me from head to toe and he said, "Nice dress!"

I didn't say anything but crossed my hands above my chest as I asked again, "What the fuck are you doing here?"

"I still have the key."

"I know that and I need them back."

He scoffed as he said, "Oh, c'mon, Carson. It was just a mistake and you know you can't live without me."

The nerve of him! He was so confident which made me furious. "Fred, leave now." His eyes shot me the hurt he was feeling and it hurt me more.

He was supposed to say something but his gazes went behind me and the anger was back on his face. "So, you have been slutting around now?" His eyes moved from up and down at me as he added, "It suits you."