Chapter 12: Paul's Countdown to the Inevitable!

"...And Max's Flygon has fainted! Paul Slaid has swept Max Birch! That Electivire is one VERY powerful Pokémon!" The announcer shouted.

Crowd is roaring, Paul is smirking, and Max lays on the other side of the field in defeat. Paul walks over and looks down at Max in disgust.

"I told you, and you wouldn't give in. You knew I would destroy you and your P A T H E T I C Pokémon. Yet, you still decided to take your shot. Well guess what Max, you missed wide. Tell Ash I'll be seeing him soon. And he better win his battle."
Paul walks out and Max breaks into tears.

Brock, May, Misty and Dawn run over to console Max. He kept telling them, "Ash is gonna lose, Ash is gonna lose."

"Max I know you're upset but you can't be saying that," May told him. "Ash will-"

"Lose, May! I've always looked up to Ash, I've been training my heart out, trying my best to be like him. But Paul, he's different. He told me before he would beat me easily and he did. All my training, years spent developing bonds with my Pokémon, wasted in the snap of a finger. Ash better get ready, he's not ready for what's coming..."

The rest of the group collected Max and walked back to their rooms in silence. Meanwhile in the locker rooms...

"Time to play the game...and that means it's game over for you, Brendan, cause I am the game!" Alpha exclaimed.

"Well I like playing the game, and you're the boss. Luckily for me, I'm a boss of my own." Brendan assured.

"Yeah yeah, keep talking. I'm not the one who lost our battles in Hoenn. I hope you've been training." Alpha said.

"I'll prove myself on the field. I did beat you in Hoenn's finals anyway so....gotta head to my side so I'll see you later."

"Cya"

As Brendan exits, two more enter, Blanche and Verity.

"Hey Alpha!" Blanche greets.

"Hey what's up?" Alpha asks without looking up. He's too busy tying his shoe. He gets tapped on his shoulder and looks up to see Verity smiling at him.

"Oh it's you..." Alpha nonchalantly states.

Verity's smile faded but she wouldn't let go.

"That's no way to say hi to us. We're here to cheer you on you know." Verity pouts.

"Well I didn't ask for your support. I didn't need it for years." Alpha says, with no emotion whatsoever.

"Can you stop acting tough for once, Trenton?" Blanche asks in a sassy tone.

"Whatever." Alpha get ups and is about to head out the door when Verity says something that stops him in his tracks.

"I miss your soft side..." Verity claims.

Alpha stopped in his tracks, thinking, "my soft side?" He stands at the doorway, silently, not knowing what to feel. Anger for all the years they left him, the betrayal? Sadness, for forgetting the good times that once were? Or is it remorse, for not trying to patch things up with his old friends, or especially Verity. He left with no good terms.

"Alpha, one more thing. Can we talk after the battle? I really want to catch up" Verity begged.

Alpha paused for what seemed like an eternity and finally replied. "We'll see..." Alpha looked back slightly, and left without another word.