Memories: Chapter 5

Hey guys! I am so sorry it took so long for me to upload, but for those who don't read my messages that I send to you, to find out why, please read the rest of the A/N at the bottom. Thank you! Oh and as you can see, this chapter is dedicated to inkyluv98, who is first to do everything - when a reward is envolved. Haha <3 Hope you enjoy this: 

+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

When I got to Borders — this was probably my favorite part of the day — I went behind the counter and told some girl with dirty blonde hair that her shift was over. She nodded thanks and walked over to the Starbucks next us. Looking at all of the coffee reminded me of earlier this morning.

            Derik.

            Oh, the jerk was going to be the end of me. I swear he would. I mean, really, what was his problem? What did he have against me? What did I do or could could’ve possibly ever done to make him — well act like that? I had never slacked off. I never missed a day of work. I worked harder than the others. I didn't flirt with my work mates 24/7. What was it about me that made him so dang angry all the time?

            You know what? Forget him. I didn't need him to add to my list of problems. I just didn't.

            You know this was why I hated him. I hated complaining, I really did but — it was so hard not to when it came to him! I mean God! It was just wasn't fair sometimes — not that anything is fair really — but still he didn't have be so mean.

            Being the childish, stubborn, over-exaggerate person I was when annoyed or frustrated, I decided to pretend that what happened this morning never did.

            That I never woke up this morning.

            I never went to work this morning.

            I never got that job at Starbucks.

            I never applied for that job.

            I never met Derik.

            I never left my old school.

            I never left my old home.

            I never got on a plane to here.

            That I never moved here.

            That I never moved into that house.

            That my parents never —

              “Excuse me?” 

            I was snapped back to reality to an older lady who had gray, short hair. She had little wrinkles in her face and looked somewhat impatient, her arms crossed on the counter as she looked at me expectantly. “Oh, I'm — I'm sorry about that,” I told her. “No, it's fine, it's just that I have to get to my grandson’s birthday party.” She handed me a book that read, “The Call of the Wild”.

            “Does he like reading?” I asked, my voice portraying a sound of curiosity even though I was just doing my job, as I priced it, not looking at her. “Well, yes but — I'm trying to get him to read more practical books; he reads all of those gory, unrealistic books — like that, umm what was it? Oh something or the other . . .” I smirked; not many teenage boys (well the average violent-loving, video-game-playing, I’m-cool-like-James-Bond, boys at least, because surprisingly, some men are actually civilized, courteous people. Can you believe that? I still don’t really, but apparently, it’s true) couldn't not read something that was some form of gory and blood. I mean I found that as an improvement from playing COD every single waking moment.

            I put the book in the bag after saying, “That'll be sixteen ninety-nine.” She searched through her purse for a moment before handing me a twenty instead. I fiddled through the cash register before hand her three dollars and the one penny.

            “Here's your change,” I said stuffing the book into the bag. She said thanks before leaving the store. Andrea, a girl who worked here, came over and piled a bunch of books on the counter. “Hey, do ya mind puttin' 'dese on the shelf for meh'?” she said in some kind of accent that I still didn't understand. “Sure but —” “I'll take from 'ere,” she said, swinging her black hair over her shoulder.  She gave me a big, corny, smile before I filled my hands — and upper body for that matter — with the books she'd set down.

            I walked over to the anime shelves and set the books down for a quick second. I picked up one titled Fruits Basket 7. I placed next to the sixth on the shelf and quickly proceeded to the next one. And the next. And the next. 

            About twenty minutes later I was down to six books; three from a series called MeruPuri, two by the same other called Vampire Knight, and one that had some girl on the cover looking all scared next to some guy — the title had something to do with a bird . . . Blue jay? Mocking jay? Black Bird — yes that's it! I looked down at the small comic in humiliation.

I didn't even know the name and the book was right in front of me. Right there. In my hand. I could’ve look down and . . . Smart. 

            I checked my watch; 4:45. That meant about another fifteen minutes before I could go home. 

            I wanted to use my employee discount to buy a couple of books but I was pretty sure that I had used up all of that. Yeah... Well, there's goes that idea. I instead, took out my math homework and started on it. 

            Solve the problem, it read.

            A rental car company charges a flat daily fee plus a charge for each mile driven. A car rented for 5 days and driven for 300 miles costs $178, while a car rented for 4 days and driven for 500 miles costs $197. Find the daily fee and mileage charge with D as the Daily Fee and M for every mile charged.

            I read the word problem five more times, just to make sure I’d gotten right. As soon as I’d reached ten, I thought of something. I pumped my fist in the air — which still held a pencil mind you — and twiddled my fingers, readying for the led to create beauty on the page that would be known as my answer, when something else dawned on me. My face smacked hard down on the book, making contact with white graph paper. “I can’t do this,” I groaned into it, nose flattened on the side.

            Stupid Greeks . . .

I heard the bell ding as the door opened and figured that someone else would take care of it. The sound of footsteps filled my ears but I blocked it out. I lifted my head and looked back down at the math. I tried to go for it and finish it — that's pretty hard when you don't even know how to start. I didn't quite hate education or school — don't quite care enough, if not at all, for it — but more so of the assignments. I just didn't have time to do them . . . Or a brain to help me with it, for that matter. 

I heard a voice speaking to me. For some reason I didn't recognize it at first — which later truly surprised me. 

              “Hello, excuse me, I was looking for a book but I can't seem to find it,” the voice chuckled lightly.

            I looked up to find myself gasping at the sight before me:

            Him.

+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

Hi again! Hope you enjoyed it! Yeah, it's pretty short but... heh heh, I'll try to upload, oh and first person with the best comment (Most descriptive, more than just "cool" or "awesome" or "upload", and telling me what you liked/disliked about the chapter) get's dibbs on the next chappy! 

Vote! Just vote! You KNOW you want to! That orange button! It's right there! RIGHT THERE!!!!

Stay Ninja and All

<3 GPS