Chapter 2

Over an hour later, I can sense Dr. Roberts hovering on the other side of the desk while I work on the computer. "Read them the riot act?" I question him without bothering to look up. "I've looked through the schedule for the next three days and have emailed you a list of nurses I trust with them." Tina didn't make the list, good nurse or not-- she's too likely to get distracted by the horde of model worthy men standing around.

"They understand my position and have agreed to work with you. The rest of their team will come by towards the end of your shift so you can put faces to names," he tells me somberly, like this was the greatest hardship of his day.

Smirking, I say, "Quit acting like this is so painful for you." Looking up at his less than apologetic eyes, I add, "There's no point in pretending that you haven't been trying to set me up with Sean for years." Exaggerating his voice, I quote, "Come have lunch with me, Joey. There's a doctor I'd like you to meet. Oh, perhaps you'd like to meet Sean Green, he graduated college early, just like you did. If you'd just give Sean the chance, Joey, I think you'd find--"

"Okay, okay, I get it. You caught onto me," he laughs, holding his hands up in surrender.

Narrowing my eyes playfully, I say, "You know, this seems awfully suspicious. A water main breaking that affects the hospital when one of his brothers has been admitted for multiple days of care. Did you have something to do with the construction crew accident, Phil?"

Coming around the desk and dropping into the chair in front of the other computer, he shakes his head. "No, I'm afraid that one wasn't me, although I do like that you're going to have to interact with them over the next few days. I'm serious, Joey. I think you'll find that Sean and his team share a few interests--"

"And I've told you, Phil," I sigh, interrupting him before he can continue down that path. He always says Sean and his team have similar interests as me, but always refuses to tell me what those interests are. "I have enough Academy teams in my life and that team in there? Easily contains at least three healthy sized teams. Maybe four."

"Two, actually," Phil mumbles. "They used to be two separate teams but combined a few years ago. They still have two team liaisons and two family leads, due to the size of their team and how active they are."

That explains a few things. "Oh, good. I was starting to get concerned that no one told Mr. Blackbourne that this isn't Pokémon. He doesn't actually have to catch them all."

Phil's booming laughter echoed down the hall. "And not a trace of sarcasm to be found. Oh, Joey, you're going to give the poor man a stroke if you treat him like your other patients' families. He's a good man and wonderful at his job, just very protective of who is allowed into their inner circle."

Gasping dramatically, I put my hand over my heart. "Philip Roberts, are you implying that I treat my patients' families poorly?" He gave me a sideways glance with an eyebrow raised. "I just don't put up with nonsense. This guy is just another patient to me and I will be treating him, and his entourage, as such."

"I trust you Joey, you're a wonderful nurse. These boys..." he paused, looking for the right words. "They mean a lot to me. Some of them I've been following since they were ten years old. A couple I've known even longer than that. It's more than your awareness of our organization that made me bring them to you; you value whole family nursing. You recognize the needs of the family in the healing and wellbeing of your patient. More than anything, from the moment I met you, you saw the value in adopted family. That blood isn't what makes that bond. As big as they are, this family is tighter knit than most. They're going to need your particular brand of tough love and understanding."