Chapter 3

"Knock knock!" I announced as I pushed open the door and smiled at Sophia and her mom. As Sophia scrambles to sit up higher on the pillows, I say, "You're looking better than earlier, kiddo. How are you feeling?"

I recognize that wicked glint in her eyes and regret telling her that I'd come in at the end of my shift. She definitely overheard us earlier. "Who is Luke? Are you two dating? Is he with that guy down the hall that you won't tell me about? Why are they picking up food for you after your shift? Are you on your way there now?"

Younger sisters weren't something I'd ever had to deal with, but I imagine that's exactly what Sophia is acting like. Laughing, I say, "You are living up to your nickname, Gossip Girl. Eavesdropping is rude, you know."

She twists her face into a sarcastic scowl. "You only don't like it when I'm listening in on you. Now, spill."

"Patient confidentiality, I can't."

She groans as her mother laughs. Her mom knows exactly what Sophia is like. "I'm not asking what's wrong with him, I just want to know--"

"Literally everything else," I chuckle. She gives me her best pouting face and I relent. A little. "Ok, how about this. No, I am not dating him or any of the other boys. I am on my way down there, but only because there are people in my patient's family who want to meet me since I've been assigned to the case. That's all you're going to get."

"None of the other nurses know anything about him," Sophia whined.

Her mom shook her head. "He's only been on the floor for less than a day. Give it some time and someone will know something."

I don't feed Sophia the line about him being under protective custody. It would just fuel her desire to dig deeper even more. I don't think she'd discover something she shouldn't, but I have an agreement with the Academy to protect their assets when they're under my care and that's what Brandon is. "Good luck finding someone to tell you anything."

She looks confident as she declares, "Tina will tell me."

Sure, she will, kid. "Be good for the night shift," I tell her with a mock stern tone. "Get some rest, you have PT in the morning." Her nose wrinkles and I answer her question before she even gets a chance to ask, "No, I will not be telling your doctor that you're too weak to do it. If you're feeling well enough to gossip, you're feeling well enough to do physical therapy."

"Have fun at your dinner thing," she grumbles and I shake my head as I make my way back out into the hall, closing her door behind me. There's someone headed my direction from the entrance to the ward and I do a double take as I recognize a familiar face, someone that definitely shouldn't be out of bed, much less coming towards me from the elevators.

Sean's comment earlier about wishing it was Brandon's brother that was injured comes to mind just as it clicks that this guy isn't walking like someone who has multiple stab wounds in his core muscles. "You must be the brother," I say when he gets closer to me.

His cheeks turn the slight tint of pink. "I'm Corey," he greets me as he sticks out a hand for me to shake. "Are you Joey?"

"My reputation precedes me," I tease.

Corey shrugs, only looking a little embarrassed. "It doesn't take long for news to spread in a group like ours."

I snorted. "Trust me, I'm more aware of that than you'd think. I'll take you to your brother's room, that's where I was headed anyway." He nodded and I started leading him towards room 843. He's tall, I have to crane my neck up to look at him. If Brandon is this tall, it's a good thing he has to lay in bed, I'd never be able to reach him otherwise. "Have they been keeping you updated?"