Chapter 4

I groan at the weird sounds the engine of my car is making as I pull into the hospital parking lot. My shift is set to start in five minutes when I usually prefer to get in twenty minutes early. I hate being rushed. The stupid car had to be limped down the interstate, though. Today of all days, I couldn't afford to have to pull over and wait for a tow truck.

Mr. Blackbourne didn't seem like the type to forgive anything less than being punctual, even if it wasn't entirely my fault. He'd probably say I should have seen the possibility of car troubles and gotten it inspected a week ago.

How short sighted of me.

As I climb out of the car, I pull my phone out and go through my numbers until a familiar name pops up. It rings twice as I'm digging my backpack, lunchbox, and garment bag out of my car and begin power walking into the hospital. "Donovan Investigative Services," a deep voice announces and I nearly snort. His voice isn't naturally that deep, the faker.

"It's me, Jetpack," I announce as I look both ways at the drive and rush towards the doors.

His tone changes immediately, going back to normal as he calls out, "Heeey! I wasn't expecting to hear from you today, Joey. What's up? Need help hiding a body?"

I smile kindly at the little old lady being pushed out in a wheelchair by what looks like her grandson. "Jett, you and I both know that you're not the one on that team that I'd call for something like that." The chemist or the forensic anthropologist will always be the first two I would dial if the need ever came up.

Jett whined out, "No one ever takes my talents seriously." Total lie. I've used him countless times to do background checks on potential dates. In a normal voice, he says, "What can I do for you today, Joey?"

"Are you working a case right now?" I ask as I squeeze into the elevator at the last moment, really hoping he isn't. Of my brother's team, he's the one with the most adaptable schedule.

"I've got a meeting with a potential client this afternoon, but I'm flexible until then. Whatcha need?"

This is what I love about Academy boys. Once you're family, they don't hesitate to jump in when you need them. "My car is acting up. It's drivable... for now, but it won't be for long if those noises are any clue at all." He asked what the noises were and I tried to mimic them, making him laugh. "What? You asked! I have a date tonight and a shift I can't miss, I need the hours. Can you swing it by the shop?"

'I need the hours' is our code for me being put on an Academy case-- they know that I'm far from struggling financially. When I'm on a case, I can only call out if it's a true emergency and my car being on the fritz doesn't count. Their team and Phil's team are the closest thing I have to a 'family' of my own since I'm not actually Academy. When I need people to step up while I'm assigned to a team, Oli's team is usually it.

"Absolutely," Jett says with no hesitation. I can already hear him standing up and moving around in his office. "I'll be over there ASAP. I'll meet you on your floor to pick up your keys."

The elevator chimed, indicating we had reached my destination. I walked out and swiped my badge through the card reader so it would let me through. "Works for me. And Jett... please behave while you're here. If you run into people you know, leave them alone." I waved at the other nurses standing around the desk as I stepped into the break room. "Things are crazy here right now, everyone's a little stressed out."

He sounds legitimately offended when he says, "Are you seriously worried I'm going to make them feel bad for having a sick kid?"

I pinch the bridge of my nose. "No, I'm not, it's..." I groan as I make my way back out to check in. "It's complicated. I'll talk to you when you get in, I need to go pretend like I work for a living."