Chapter 3

Glass slammed against wood and a few drops of tea spilled over the rim. "You know," said Vita, pulling her nose up at the mug, "I could've used something stronger right now."

Leo ignored the comment and sat down opposite her. The café was busy for a Monday afternoon. They were mostly men and women in suits, though; business meetings. A few housewives clinked glasses together too, taking advantage of the time their children spent in school.

"How are you feeling?"

"Fine," said Vita, before adding quietly, "Hurt."

Leo lay her hand on Vita's. "I know it's hard, but try to forget about him. He's not worth the tears."

Vita waved her friend's hand away. "I know that. He doesn't deserve me. Still, it's not as if this is the first time this happened to me. Perks of having eternal life," she added bitterly. "You get to meet pigs in all generations."

Leo's lips pursed, but the look of pity on her face was so overwhelming that Vita took a gulp from her tea just to look away.

"You know what, I don't want to talk about it. Distract me. How are things with you? Work still shit? Found yourself a husband yet?"

Leo laughed, leaning back in her chair. "Considering your experiences, I think I'll just stick with the cats this lifetime."

"Oh, come on, Leo. You haven't had anyone since the 1900s. You're a demigoddess, for heaven's sake, start living like one."

"Leonora," she said pointedly. "And I don't mind being alone. I've got you, my half-brother and all the mortals I meet along the way." She shrugged. "That's enough for me."

Vita rolled her eyes. "Of course it is. According to my diaries you've never been happier than when you were in love in the 18th century."

"Oh, those diaries of yours. You've got to stop living in the past, Vee. We're not built for that." She grabbed her purse and stood up from the booth. "Something stronger, right? Just this once, then."

Vita stared after her friend with a smile on her face. Leo was almost twice her age in this life, but that didn't matter when you'd been friends for hundreds of years. Ever since Vita had moved to England centuries ago, they'd always find each other after every resurrection.

In fact, she was pretty sure she and her half-brother were the only things Leo could remember from her past lives. Not because she had a bad memory, but simply because she wasn't interested in the rest.

These lives are precious, she'd always say. You've got to live them to the fullest, rather than getting stuck in a previous one.

She wasn't entirely wrong, of course. But to Vita, those memories were important, something to treasure.

Her eyes glid across the café. Mortals. They had no idea how precious life was. How short it was. All these people, businesspeople, homemakers, students skipping classes, each and every one had a story. Their stories, their memories, shaped them. Vita's past lives shaped her as much as her current one did.

A grin lit up her face when Leo came back from the bar, two tall wineglasses in hand.

"Red for me, sweet white for you," she said as she took a seat. "That ought to cheer you up."

"You are a lifesaver," said Vita, taking a greedy gulp. "We should do this more often. How long has it been, a month?"

"Almost." Leo shrugged. "We have all the time in the world."

"Fair enough. But I'm done with mortals for a while and I'm going to be having a lot more free time, so I'll need you to entertain me." She held her glass up. "To friendship?"