The Benefits Of Being Powerful

Power.

   Power runs in my family.

   Power runs from my millionaire parents to billionaire family.

   Power runs in every drop of blood in my body.

   We are regal, we are rich, we are respected and feared.

   We are powerful.

------

    "I'm going to grind you to a fucking paste!" I yelled, grabbing the handle of my backpack and launching it across the hallway. It hit Cooper in the chest and he let out a forced exhale as it knocked the wind out of him.

     "I'd like to see you try!" He screamed back, a smile on his face as he raced after me. His side swept blonde hair was messy as he ran a hand through it to try and keep it down. We scampered down the hallways, our dark brown shoes squeaking against the marble floors. I let out a breathy laugh as I reached the corner of the hall and grabbed the pillar next to me, spinning myself to the left.

      However, as I violently pivoted I slipped on the mopped floors and fell with a thud onto my back. I groaned in pain as Cooper approached me and knelt down.

      "Fuck... did I rip my uniform? You know they'll kill us if we damage these." I checked the seams of my blue tailored sleeves and pants.

      "Nah you're fine. C'mon we have to get up before someone catches us here." He stood up and extended his hand, which I gratefully took. Wrapping my fingers around his palm, I hoisted myself up. He threw my backpack at me, and I caught it with a huff. The backpack, almost rectangular from the amount of books, hung low on my back.

       Suddenly, we heard the sound of heels clicking on the floor accompanied by the jingle of keys and the quiet bursts of a walkie talkie. We looked at each other, and as Cooper's blue eyes widened in fear I grabbed his arm nodded my head in the direction of the bathrooms.

      We ran on the balls of our feet, both of us having learned how to walk silently on loud floors. Slipping into the gender neutral bathroom we ducked inside a handicapped stall. I perched on top of the toilet roll dispenser, steadying myself with my arms. Cooper crouched on top of the toilet seat.

       I heard the heels click as they walked inside. They walked slowly past all the stalls before stopping in front of ours. I held my breath. The women on the other side pressed her hand against the door as she started to push it open and I stared in fear.

       "Gilda? We need you in the meeting room." A muffled voice said over her walkie talkie as the door stopped and the heels stepped back.

        "Sorry sir, thought I had a couple of kids breaking the rules." She spoke back, her voice curt and strict.

        "At Hamptire High? Gilda need I remind you that-" The radio voice had an edge of annoyance.

        "-Hamptire High is the best of the best, no troublemakers allowed." Gilda recited. Cooper and I made eye contact, both of us struggling to keep in our laughter. But the heels walked away and we heard the door slam closed.

      Collapsing off where we were sitting, we both burst into laughter. Giving Cooper a fist bump I walked over to the large light green door and flipped up the metal latch, pushing open the door and walking out. Walking backwards I exchanged exclamations with Cooper and pulled out the real goodies.

        From my pocket I pulled out our math teacher Mr. Cancorda's most prized possessions: His chocolate lollipops. Sure, we could get these from any store for around two dollars, but these were special. They would taste extra good, their flavor enhanced from the soon to be reaction of Mr. Cancorda as he discovered what we'd taken.

        Suddenly, Cooper froze in place, a look of fear on his face. I turned around, my face scrunched in confusion to see Gilda tapping her foot with a smile. 

      She wore a v neck satin black shirt and skinny black jeans. Her exposed arms were veiny and covered in bumps and dark spots, with her hands being home to a few simple bracelets, a small gold ring, and ten long red nails. Her lips were pursed in a smile, the matching red lipstick not hiding her chapped lips.

        "Fuck." Cooper whispered, "I didn't want to have to do this."

        I sighed, "Me neither."

        I backed up next to Cooper and we nodded in sync and turned to Gilda.

        "Gilda. I assume you know who my father is?" Cooper started, resting his arm against my shoulder. I crossed my arms and twisted my stance to create the "powerful and calm" look.

       "And I assume you know my parents? Or perhaps you need a refresher. My father owns the most powerful oil business in the world, and Cooper's owns a whiskey business. Do you know how much money they make? A lot. Enough to make you lose your job if they so much as looked angrily in your direction." I lectured her, staring her deep in her eyes.

       "But-"

       "You think they'll be mad at us?" Cooper picked up, his voice bouncing off the walls, "Who will they believe? Their children, their flesh and blood, or some random worker?"

      "Children-"

      It was my turn, "So Gilda, I offer you two options. Report us, chew us out, punish us, and lose your job, your status, and everything you've worked for. Or, let us go and forget this ever happened."

       Gilda looked conflicted before her walkie talkie spoke again, "Gilda! Now!"

      "Better get going." Cooper said sarcastically. She grabbed her radio and held it up to her ugly red lips.

      "Be right there!" Once she had let go of the talk button, she gave us both a dirty look, "One day you'll pay for this." I gave a smirk and a wave, and she scurried off. When the door slammed shut, both of us collapsed.

       I pressed my back up against the wall and slid down to my ankles, and Cooper followed suit, "I hate doing that."

      "Me too. But hey, we weren't going to get in trouble anyways. Look at us! We're two straight A students, we're in theater and sports and art! We're star students!" Cooper gave a tired smile.

      "Just like every kid at this school. Let's get out, I have to study for tomorrow's test." I stood myself up, stumbling to regain my balance. This time I held my hand out to Cooper and he took it.

       We stood there for half a second, talking everything in, before I rubbed my eyes and started to walk towards the door. Cooper followed me and we left the school, trudging against the fall wind and rapid fire testing each other.

       I still had to maintain my GPA because as every teacher repeatedly told us, "This school gives you more opportunities than Yale and Harvard combined."

      The benefits of being powerful.

     (A/N: Hey! New story. Misfits + friends, I promise the plot will come in really soon. I'm pretty excited for this, I think I have a fun story planned! Hope you enjoy!)