Don't Go Breakin My Heart

"We're going to break in, snoop around, all that jazz!" Mason responded, grinning with a mischievous look.

"You're crazy! Why would we do that?" I asked in shock, gripping the straps of my backpack.

"Because why not?" Cooper stood up and brushed himself off, adjusting his hat and speaking with an almost seductive tone.

"Jesus Christ, never talk like that again," John reacted, "We're doing it because we've been here forever, we've all explored every fucking square inch! Except-"

"The office." I said under my breath, "It's risky as hell though."

"I've always liked a challenge." Schlatt spun his gun around on his index finger until he held the barrel and pointed the handle towards me.

"You assholes." I smirked and grabbed the glock, slipping it into my inside coat pocket. We weren't going to use the gun of course, but it was a symbolic agreement.

Whatever the fuck happened after this, we were all in it together.

-----

We shuffled through the halls, our backs pressed to the wall. I felt my jacket catch on the rough plaster, but was able to unhook myself. Sliding down the hallway, we made sure to make no noise. Finally, I came to a sudden stop as we were on the outskirts of the office.

The door was closed unsurprisingly. John nodded and pulled a bobby pin out of the cuff of his jacket. As he did this, Fitz walked past him and stood next to the only window. It wasn't a great view but he confirmed that there wasn't anyone inside the building.

Schlatt stood on the corner as a lookout. We weren't even allowed to go near here, so we had to be on guard. Cooper and I gave each other a side glance and I smirked. Standing around John, suddenly a satisfying click rang out as the door slowly slid open. I grabbed the door to keep it from sliding further and made a quick whistle noise to signal Fitz. He scrambled over and Mason gave us a nod of approval.

Carefully, John pushed open the door. We walked in on the balls of our feet, the carpeted rug being an ally. Fitz stepped in last, wiping a towel across the door knob to clear any finger prints. This room was brand new to all of us, and we explored it with cation.

Suddenly, a phone in the back right corner started ringing. It made a shrieking noise and we all looked at each other in fear, that fear only amplified when we heard people walking down the hall, their shoes clopping against the floors.

Schlatt dashed in from being our lookout, "Hide!" He said under his breath.

I slinked under one of the desks, and Cooper sat across from me. I was aware that Fitz, Schlatt, Mason, and John were under other desks sprinkled around the room. This was bigger than sneaking into a bathroom, this was the shit that got you expelled.

I heard a two sets of shoes walk in, but as soon as they hit the carpet I no longer had a clear pinpoint on where they were. That was until I heard one of them pick up the phone.

"Hello?" It was a man's voice, deep and brisk, filled with sternness and calamity.

"Hello! It's Mr. L/N." The voice on the phone spoke back, loud enough that all of us heard it.

My father.

"Hello there Mr. L/N, I assume you're here to pay for Y/N?" The man asked.

What the fuck did he mean "pay for me?" Tuition wasn't due until the end of the year!

"Yes Antonio. What's the price for straight A's again?" My father asked.

The price for straight A's?

"That would be 100,000 dollars a year sir." Antonio said this with a hint of fear.

"100,000 dollars a year! It's gone up." My father was brisk and annoyed, and I looked at Cooper with a sense of confusion that he mirrored.

"Well yes sir. Your child Y/N is quite the... troublemaker, so we have a more expensive price for faking their grades. All the other problem children's parents pay the same price."

I don't understand, faking my grades?

"I'll have to have a talk with them. 100,000 dollars is still the regular package right?"

"Yes sir. For 100,000 dollars we give them straight A's, perfect marks on extracurricular activities, and no suspensions or punishments. This school will make them up to be a genius, and they'll get whatever college they want."

My heart jumped into my throat. I couldn't breathe.

"Alright then. And can I ask, what would their marks be if I didn't pay this?" My father said anticipation.

"Y/N would have a C in every class except for math which they would be failing. They wouldn't have gotten into any of their extracurricular programs and would have been kicked out from any of them five times over. At this point, they would have been expelled." After this my father gave a cheery goodbye and Antonio hung up the phone.

We heard him and his assistance leave.

My world crumpled around me, everything had always been a lie.

I let out a strangled cry and my friends ran around me.

"Holy shit." John muttered, obviously confused and concerned about what we had heard, but currently focusing on me who was frozen with glossy eyes. The others seemed to share his mind set.

"We gotta get the fuck out of here. We can talk about this when we're safe." Mason said, suddenly serious.

The world was a blur around me, the voices muffled and sounds deafened. My father's words reverberated in my skull, bouncing around and piercing my skull. I couldn't move, I couldn't think, I couldn't feel.

Fitz being the tallest scooped me up and threw me over his shoulder due to my unresponsive nature, and before I could even process what was going on, we were moving. Suddenly the world was shaking and bouncy as Fitz ran.

I closed my eyes, trying for something, anything.

I couldn't cry.