12. When I'm Gone

drop a comment, leave a like! <3

word count: 2.1k

CHAPTER TWELVE WHEN I'M GONE

The next day, you made sure to not bring up anything that happened last night. Not to Dean and definitely not with Sam and Stevie. You're currently thankful that your heater is broken in your truck, so that you don't need to dance around whatever is going on between you and Dean. You made sure he would work on fixing it today, so that you wouldn't be cold on the road anymore. In the early morning, you spent it buying coffee and some little breakfast foods at a gas station for everyone. You needed some time alone to digest what the hell happened the other day, both in your head and with Dean. But that's a problem. You never knew how to digest and lay back. It's always sleep that takes you away from it all, but now...you're not even sure that sleep will help you anymore.

The day so far, you and Dean put space between you. It's the front of being okay that both of you put up. It stretches all the way back from every first you shared together. First kiss together, the first time you've done it together in the back of his impala. The first major fight when he told you to leave him and his problems alone because he wanted to keep you and Stevie safe. It's also the conversation about Christmas day, and what happened after that night. All of it makes you both feel overwhelmed with worry. Heart aches, too.

Stevie and Sam are out of the loop. The only thing they've noticed for weeks, is the space and constant avoidance between the two of you. You're sure though that your sister will eventually figure it out, or she'll pry it out of you. Sucking it up, and not for solely needing Dean to fix your heater in the truck, you didn't want whatever days or weeks you've had left with him to be wasted away.

In the cold, you're standing outside in the parking lot, holding on to the open truck door and resting on the window sill opening. The car is cold, making you shiver but you stay there, using your arm to protect your chin from it. You watch Dean's body lay on the seats, his dark sage button up rising up, showing a little skin on his back and the side of his stomach. You bite your lip from smiling at the sight and roll your eyes.

"I swear, Winchester, if you didn't get the heat to work-"

"Why are you doubting me?" His voice is muffled at his head is hidden by leaning down as he sits in your truck's front seat. You hear the slight playfulness in his voice echo.

"Not doubting you," you laugh, "I'm just saying, if you don't fix it, I'm never coming to you for anything again. Especially if it involves the one thing I have."

Dean smiles to himself as he hears your laugh. He raises from leaning and sits back in the driver's seat. You tilt your head, silently asking if he had finished fixing the heater in your truck. Your eyes observe his face, then suddenly you become nervous as his stare doesn't budge. Little do you know, he's admiring your lips as they're pulled upward into a grin.

"Hey, you alright?"

"Just peachy." Dean sarcastically smiles, as he climbs out of your truck and wipes the sweat off his forehead with the back of his hand.

"I know that look. What's up?"

"I gotta be honest." He begins to speak. You stand in front of him, heart beginning to sink down in your chest, unsure of what he might say. But, you're set on the possibility that he's about to bring up the kiss from just a few weeks ago. He slams your truck door closed and leans against it, folding his arms against his chest.

"That demon-"

"Ruby, right?" You squint at him. On the inside, you're so glad he's not bringing up the conversation from yesterday, or the kiss. Instead, he brings up Ruby, the demon that suddenly has been popping up in Sam's life, and now yours.